Will To Death review by John Frusciante

• Released: Jun 22, 2004
John Frusciante: Will To Death

The sound quality on this record isnt as good as shadows collide with peiople (John's last album) but I personally think thats a good thing, but I have given it 4 stars because the majority of people that havnt heard frusciante before will not know how badly the sound quality really does match his voice. The guitar and especially keyboard parts are second to none, with briliiant atmospheric sounds and interesting chords that really do match the sound quality, the sound on this album is best described as echoey, which really works against his powerful voice.

The most noticable thing about this record is how deep and meaningful the lyrics are, and not just that it, is interesting to see how the music really does reflect on these lyrics. The words are personal to John Frusciante and if you know of his past you ill be able to understand them better, but some lyricsarebest left to the imaginatyion, which is another thing that makes this album incredibly deep and interesting, the 4th track on this album loss is heard with the line: "now that I'm gone now that I'm long gone, this minute has come and gone, never said do anything but forgert me" and the great thing about this record is that the lyrics sound quite deep and depressive, but they are hidden behind the kind off music that can only be described as beautiful.

First of all the last track, The Will To Death is one of the moast beautiful ballads you will ever here. I suppose I should note if anyone doesn't know is that John Frusciante is the guitarist of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but don't expect Johns solo albums to sound like the Chili Peppers music-wise, hoqwever I think more Chili Peppers fans should check out John Frusciante's work, because like the Chili Peppers, the lyrics are still poetic and wondefully placed in to match the songs creative sounds, plus if you love this album you will love shadows collide with people, which is a as deep and as emotional as The will To Death but with a much improved sound quality. But this shouldnt put you off you really do need this album if you are open-minded and to attept to peice together John Frusciantes troubled past.