Will To Death review by John Frusciante

• Released: Jun 22, 2004
John Frusciante: Will To Death

If you've heard "Smile from the streetes you hold" or "Niandre lades and usually just a t-shirt" (Johns first two albums) listening to Mr Frusciante's latest album will most likely shock you. It's far lighter and optimistic, but John's distinctive style is still there. The John who wrote this album is clearly a cleaner, stronger John than the one who quit half way through the Blood Sugar Tour.

In "Shadows Collide with People" John was taking a more positive stance with his lyrics, although there was still a clear feeling of guilt and foreboding. In Will to a Death, John has shed his skin. He is clearly love with his girlfriend "I can't disguise the things I do, but the things I say have a way of hurting you." However, John is still burdened with his crippling past, but this time, he appears to be shifting the weight and moving on "The face in the mirror is not me," "Becomings what you do when you die," "No-one means me when they say people don't grow," "Now that I'm gone, now that I'm long gone." The lyrics are beautifully crafted, but again, fans of Johns older work might find that this new optimistic John is too soft and gentle compared to the violence and hurt in his previous work.

Although this is my favourite John Frusciante album by far, it was written by someone almost completely different to the man playing on Smile from the Streets. If you liked the darker almost suicidal John, this might not be for you, but if you, like me, feel the John who played at Hyde Park, (clean shaven and short haired for the first time since his $70, 000 worth of dental work) is a stronger, better John, then you will be touched and moved by this heartfelt performance. Get it if you liked - "Shadows Collide With People." Skip it if you liked - "Blood Sugar Sex Magik," "Smile From The Streets You Hold." Best Track - #4 A Loss. Tender and meaningful, but still hinting at the insanity of young John.

cuige
    this is a great album by a great musician. any real fan of John would not be put off by the optimistic lyrics. we should all rejoice that he is clean and healthy and can come and make albums like this one.