Will To Death review by John Frusciante

• Released: Jun 22, 2004
John Frusciante: Will To Death

I love this album, it has quite a nice sound to it, although it's not as clean as "Shadows Collide With People". It's a very creative album, and the drums from Klinghoffer makes the songs sound deeper than previous albums. All of Frusciante's albums are different in some, and this goes to show it. This album is a lot more laid back than some of his previous, extremely emotional works. It's an album you can tap your foot too and smile. Listening to smoe of his previous works, some of the songs don't compare to them, but overall it is a worth while listen.

The lyrics to this album are probably my favourite from any of his other albums. Particularly in the songs "An Excersize", "the Days Have Turned", and "Time Runs Out". The rhythm of the sining in Time Runs Out if beautiful. "Mirror" is an extremely well written piece, a stand out. Some fans of Frusciante's older work may find these lyrics different to his other works, but they're still beautiful.

Overall, I don't think this album quite compares to his other works, but to a new listener it is certainly a superb listen. The song "Helical" is a stand out for me, quite eerie and beautiful. "The Days Have Turned" is probably a favourite, and "Mirror" and "Time Runs Out". If you prefer the more depressed, emotion songs John produces, then avoid this album. But if you prefer a more light hearted approach to his music, and generally like his music, then get this album!