Little Pictures review by John K. Samson

• Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
John K. Samson: Little Pictures

I've been a Weakerthans fan for a few years now and when I heard that front man John K. Samson had some solo albums I quickly got on the web and found a downloadable version of his second solo album fom the early '90s entitled "Little Pictures". At first listen, I was very suprised by John K. Samsons guitar skills, having played bass in the punk band "Propagandhi" and now playing very basic power chord rythems in his current band "The Weakerthans". Johns vocal skills are pretty much the exact opposit of his guitar skills, in other words, he can't sing. But it adds a certain charm to the songs.

The lyrics on this album arnt quite up to par with the lyrics in songs by "The Weakerthans" but they are still very poetic and heart felt. The songs aren't as mature as his new songs but keep in mind that he was only 19 years old when he recorded this album.

overall, this a great album by an underground winnipeg solo artist. It doesnt't quite compare to any of "the weakerthans" albums but if it were stolen/lost, I would defenetly buy it again. I don't really have a favorit song on this album because they are all great but if I had to chose I would say that my favorit songs are "Little Pictures" and "Sunday Afternoon". If I were to change anything about this CD I would add a couple songs because it's a very short album.