John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band review by John Lennon

• Released: Dec 11, 1970
John Lennon: John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band

Plastic Ono Band is John Lennon's first real solo album after the breakup of the Beatles in 1970. From the outside, you see a record filled with melodramtic pop songs and tales that only Mr. Lennon himself could create, but after a few listens you really get to understand who Lennon really is at this point of his life. He's lost the Beatles, but he's gained a strong partnership with Yoko Ono, he's still mourning the loss of his mother, but he's now able to express whatever he wants without the constriction of the Beatles. Overall, this record does not disappoint but is probably better suited for someone whose listened to lots of John Lennon before so.

The lyrics are pure brillance. From the gritty 'Working Class Hero' to the beautiful 'Love' every track is beautifuly thought out and the words just flow with the music effortlessly. McCartney can try all he wants to achieve lyrics as good as John's, but he'll just never do it. The sadness he can evoke in the overly simple 'Mother', and in the same vein 'Isolation', is awe-inspiring. His voice is good, not perfect, but good. I can't imagine another voice singing these words.

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band is really balanced as far as Lennon records go, not as commerical or poppy as Double Fantasy or Imagine, and that gives it a 'diamond in the rough' aura. It's not a well known record, but it's highly favoured among Lennon fans. I just can't get enough of the undertones that sweep the music. I can't explain it, you'll just have to find out yourself.

Ixthyx
    I would hardly call Imagine commercial and poppy. Crippled Inside, How Do You Sleep, Jealous Guy...not to mention that Imagine is essentially anti-establishment. He's being just as honest and forthright as ever on Imagine.
    Dallen_007
    Yea, but he sounded more raw and intense on Plastic Ono Band. This would have to be my favorite John Lennon album.
    dylennon
    John Lennon was a creative genius regardless. He was one of the greatest songwriters to walk the earth!
    #1floydfan
    love this album. first lennon album I bought. It's just sad what Green Day did to Working Class Hero