Rock 'N' Roll review by John Lennon

• Released: Feb 21, 1975
John Lennon: Rock 'N' Roll

This album has more of a strange back story. It all started in a legal morass over John's song "Come Together" off of Abbey Road.The problem was that it resembled Chuck Berry's song "You Can't Catch Me" whose rights were owned by Morrris Levy. He sued and the settlement was that John would have to record three more songs owned by Levy. John thought that these older rock 'n' roll songs would seem out of place with his other material, so he decided to make an entire album with those retro songs. The sound is great for the entire album. John Lennon's roots were in rock 'n' roll so he knew exactly what to do. There are 13 tracks on this album: 01. Be-Bop-A-Lula -(Gene Vincent) 02. Stand By Me-(Ben E. King) 03. Rip it Up/Ready Teddy (medley)-(Robert Blackwell) 04. You Can't Catch Me- (Chuck Berry) 05. Aint that a Shame- (Fats Domino) 06. Do You Wanna Dance- (Bobby Freeman) 07. Sweet Little Sixteen-(Cuck Berry) 08. Slippin' and Slidin'- (Richard Penniman) 09. Peggy Sue- (Buddy Holly) 10. Bring it On Home- (Sam Cooke) 11. Send Me Some Lovin'- (?) 12. Bony Moronie- (Larry Williams 13. Ya Ya- (Lee Dorsey) 14. Just Because- (Price)

John sang every song great.bu because he didn't write any of these songs I'm not going to judge the lyrics I'm just reviewing John's album not the originals. Although John did add a speech at the beginnig of "Just Because": "Ah, remember this? Why, i must have been thirteen when this came out, or was it fourteen, or was it twenty two, I could have been twelv actually." later on in the song he gives another speech saying goodbye which he later said was a sub-conscious farewell to the music world.

In my opinion its a great album and the best songs on it are Rip it Up and Slippin' and Slidin'. My overall impression is that its a great abum although its not well known but for any John Lennon fan this album is a must-have although it did take me a little while to get used to it.

NowhereGirl9
    It's a very nostalgic album to listen to. John went back to his roots again. It seemed like he was John Lennon, the teenager who wanted to be like Elvis. But the background of the album is kind of depressing. He was drinking heavily at the time and he was depressed. If I'm not mistaken, he tried to record the album during "The Lost Weekend", but it all went downhill, because he missed Yoko. But once they got back together, he released this record. It's one of my favorites actually. The album has a nice sound that it fun to dance to. He sings the songs with such energy that cannot be explained. He's got a special voice, a voice different from other musicians. I really like how he imitates Buddy Holly's hiccup vocals in Peggy Sue. It's really cute, and he nailed it. All his teenage influences are there. It was simply John Lennon covering songs, just like he used to do when he was young.