Any Given Thursday Review

John Mayer: Any Given Thursday
Released: Feb 11, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
In either format, Any Given Thursday is really for the rabid fan.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.3
 9.9
 8.7
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Any Given Thursday Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2004

Sound: I absolutely love this album. Some people may have a problem with how breathy his voice sounds at the beginning of the album, but I don't. So many of these songs really do a good job of showing off his talent for playing guitar, especially "Covered In Rain". Ooh! Wonderful! // 10

Lyrics: Let me tell you, this guy really knows how to write a good pop song. Between all of the songs from "Room For Squares" to all of the unreleased songs on the album, you can really tell that he has a knack for writing good lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I think that the best song on this album is "Lenny/Man On The Side", which combines a great SRV song and, what I think, is one of his best songs. I love this album, overall. There is nothing that I hate about it. If it were stolen, yes, I would instantly buy it again, no questions asked. Yes, it is worth buying. This album would be a great addition to any fan of pop/rock music, great guitar playing, and music in general. // 10

Any Given Thursday Reviewed by: mr. jimmy, on april 02, 2007

Sound: This album is a laid back showcase of John Mayer's songs and features his under-rated guitar talent. Mayer obviously has a very pop sound that will turn many people away from his music, but the music has a certain charm that will draw you in. The songs are all kind of laid back, but are more than anything, just fun to listen to. You also hear Mayer's unique guitar ability. He has a great strat sound, (he also uses an acoustic for some of the record), and you can clearly hear the infuence of SRV with solos on "Covered In Rain" and "Neon". His solos are not obnoxiously long or repetitive. They are actually very melodic, and fit their songs very well. The greatness of Mayer's guitar playing comes in during the verses though. He writes great, chordy guitar parts, that simply make great songs. He doesn't have riffs or power chords, but he makes great songs. // 10

Lyrics: John Mayer writes very down to earth, fun lyrics. The lyrics seem to be a reflection of Mayer's laid back personality. They are usually about women, (probably why the ladies love him), or just about random things. The lyrics are melodic and fit in with his chordy guitar playing well. Mayer has a very soothing, almost raspy voice. His voice just seems to fit his lyrics, because I couldn't imagine anyone else singing these songs. // 9

Overall Impression: John Mayer is a very original artist, so it is hard to compare him to anyone else. I always listen to classic rock and even though I was skeptical at first, after the first song on this album, I was hooked. This album has changed my whole outlook on guitar; now, instead of working on riffs and power chords, I focus on making really good chord progressions and melodic lyrics. This is my first John Mayer album, but I assure you it will not be my last. I just love this guy's laid back style and songs. My favorite songs on this album are probably: "Love Song For No-one", "Covered In Rain", "Neon", and "No Such Thing". If this album were lost or stolen, I would probably go out and buy another John Mayer album, because I already have all the songs from this one on iTunes. // 10

Comments