Continuum review by John Mayer

• Released: Sep 9, 2006
John Mayer: Continuum

Ok, the only reason I bought this CD was because of 'Gravity' and 'Vultures,' but there is so much more to this album than meets the eye, or ears. With John Mayer on Guitar, Pino Palladino on bass guitar, Steve Jordan on drums, and a few other musicians that I assume are all session musicians, this album has a deep, complex feel to it that really makes you want to tap your foot to the beat of the music. It goes from a poppy feel on 'Waiting On The World To Change,' to a bluesy-feeling 'Gravity,' to the psychedelic rock cover of the Jimi Hendrix classic, 'Bold As Love.' I give sound a 10 because it has a complex feel, yet it could be considered easy listening.

The Lyrics once again show the genius of this man. All but one song ('Bold As Love') was penned by him. His lyrics stand out as being metaphoric, deep, and soulful, while complimenting the music and maintaining and even flow while getting the point across. Let's face it though, Mayer isn't really that great of a singer with the whole breathy thing, but he's singing in key in time and rythym, and has a pretty decent range. His voice does, however, compliment the feel of the music, almost as if he recorded the record in a bedroom where someone is sleeping. I give the lyrics an 8, because sometime's you may/may not completly understand what he means.

This is John Mayer's second-best record, with the best being 'Try!'. I find that my favorite song from the album is the only cover song here, 'Bold As Love.' He is one of the few people that can pull off 3 Hendrix songs, and do them excellently. The first track, 'Waiting On The World To Change,' comes in close second. I highly reccomend this album to anyone that likes John even is the smallest sense, to the most die-hard Mayer fan. I'd reccomend this to just about anyone willing to give it a listen. If it were lost or stolen, I'd first look for it, just to make sure. If I couldn't find it, I'd go buy it again. At only 10 bucks at Wal-Mart, it's not that big of a price to pay for a brand-new album. Once again, I'd most definitely get this album, you won't be disappointed.