Continuum review by John Mayer

• Released: Sep 9, 2006
John Mayer: Continuum

This is a mellow album like John Mayer's previous solo albums, however that's where the similarities stop. Mayer did not play the majority of the instruments on this album, and it shows (in a good way). There are organs, horns, and various other instrumentation that compliment Mayer's newfound exploration into blues. He plays complex and amazing blues solos on this cd, on such tracks as "I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)" and "Slow Dancing In A Burning Room". He also did a bluesy cover of Hendrix's Bold As Love. Simply amazing.

Lyrics were pretty good on this album. Very poetic, very much about love, and metaphoric and up to interpretation. Good enough for me.

Of music today, John Mayer is perhaps the best as far as guitar and blues goes. There's nobody like him in the mainstream, and his loyal fan base from the pop years should take to his brand of blues. If you want to see someone who got Hendrix right, and incorporates all of the past of blues rock into a modern sound, check out this album. I dare you to learn the licks. It's catchy, it's good, and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Merc2b
    Alright, I am a huge John Mayer fan. He really opened me up to picking up the guitar and getting deeper in the music of SRV and Hendrix and so on. I've seen him in concert during his pop days, Trio HOB days, and recent tour. The album is great yes! Defintely his best if you don't include the TRY! album. For everyone that is putting down Mayer on here and calling him a sellout and trying to rip off Hendrix and SRV. I saw go watch the man in concert. His albums can't touch his concerts. Every single song is about 3 minutes longer because of the extra solo he goes into. You think "Gravity" was good on the TRY! cd. How about a 9 minutes live with the lights damn near out. All you can see is Mayer's outline and you get lost for the next 4 minutes in a solo that is his own. Not someone else's style. In Repair, Slow Dancing, I'm Goin Find Another You, and Belief go into very long elaborate solos during these shows. I also can't say enough about the guitar playing at the Cleveland HOB. I was in the first row and will never experience another thing like it. We'll be hearing a lot from Mayer someday and I have a feeling that some of you guys on here dissing Mayer will come to the other side. I think the next step for Mayer is to go to the studio and bring the same energy and rawness that he does in a concert and put it on the album. I feel Continuum allows his lyrics to shine while easing up on the guitar playing. Look for a DVD to come out sometime in the near future from one of these shows. Likely the Austin City Limits one. Just my thoughts, take it how you want.
    lukieh
    I thought that bold of love was a step down... I've seen a youtube video of him doing it, and that was ok, but the album version... the guitar is good, but I don't like the vocals on it... way too poppy.
    th3 n33ms
    If you liked this album a lot compared to Heavier Things or Room For Squares, check out his live album Try! - John Mayer Trio. It is so much better. Continuum is pretty awsome, I'd have to agree, but Try! is a lot more bluesier and technically involved (it seems, you can tell he is a really good guitarist more in it) This album has a lot of good songs on it too, Belief sounds great with its intro riff, Slow Dancing In A Burning room has a really cool sorta Eric Clapton like feel to it (with the stingy fills) and Stop This Train has pretty catchy lyrics. Overall its a great album, I'd defintly buy it.