Continuum review by John Mayer

• Released: Sep 9, 2006
John Mayer: Continuum

To many, John Mayer's switch to the blues may have come as a surprise. People saw him as a pop crooner who could play guitar, but dedicated fans knew that a bluesy studio album was on the horizon. John's work with the Trio is evident on Continuum, and it feels that he has finally made the album that he wanted to make. John spoke about his love for the blues, and the heroes that he grew up listening to, but Room For Squares and Heavier Things only showed glimpses of his blues potential. Continuum is nothing short of spectacular. The album has a song for every mood, which is one of the things that I love most about the album. He brings Hendrix, SRV and Clapton into the 21st century, but makes the sound his own. Few artists would have the audacity to cover Bold As Love, but John plays majestically, and brings Hendrix's hidden gem to the attention of millions. The album is about the end of a relationship, and coming out of it strong. But don't think that the songs are depressing or boring. John has created 12 masterpieces.

His lyrics show his maturity and confidence. He has moved away from his reputation gained from "Your Body Is A Wonderland" and has moved on to deeper subjects. Waiting On The World To Change is a prime example of this. I have always loved John Mayer's voice. His soulful tone creates the perfect atmosphere for each song, and he leaves you hanging off every word. His voice is subtle and relaxing, and uses falsetto in just the right places. I think that the music fits the lyrics really well. Neither one overpowers the other, and it's easy to appreciate both aspects of the song at the same time.

I don't remember the last time that I heard an album where every song could chart high as a single, but this album is certainly one of them. It's simply that good. My favourite songs from the album are Stop This Train, Gravity, and In Repair. Although to be honest, my favourite songs changed every time I listened to the album! To me, that's the sign of a great album. Maybe he will lose some of the teenage girls that adored Room For Squares but he has become the artist that he wants to be. I, for one, am glad that this has happened, and I can't wait to hear what he does next. Continuum is a modern day classic. It infuses blues, acoustic, and pop perfectly. I can't think of anyone else who can do this a well as John Mayer. He is in a league of his own! I hope that Continuum is a sign for things to come from John Mayer. If he keeps releasing albums of this calibre, then one day he will take his place along side his heroes. As a big Mayer fan, I have seen live performances of these songs on the internet. But after watching them, the studio versions seem a bit stale and boring. If you buy the album, check out some of his live performances. They will blow you away. John Mayer is pioneering the 21st century blues revival. This album will certainly get more people into the genre. He has made the blues accessible to everyone. If I lost the album, would I buy it again? Without hesitation. To conclude, Continuum is undoubtedly one of the best albums of 2006. I strongly recommend it to anyone.

JMTrio134
    Continuum is one of the best albums i have ever bought. Right up there with Yoshimi Battles the Pink RObots.
    voodoochild23
    john mayer can play really well, and writes nice songs. but the guy spent his life practising to be an exact replica of hendrix/srv/clapton, and the result is a blues style of music which has already been done. if he wants to be respected as a musician years from now, his albums need to be a little more daring. hes in a comfort zone, and thats why hes not regarded as highly as he could be. the future is bright tho, its good to have technical players around today.
    StratMaster14
    I recieved this album four years ago and I am glad I did. John Mayer used his smooth pop voice and fused it flawlessly with blues guitar and jazz bass and drums. He once again proved his skill in songwriting, which is no shocker. Overall, this album is a 10/10. If you are considering to buy this album, it is definetly worth your money.