Continuum review by John Mayer

• Released: Sep 9, 2006
John Mayer: Continuum

John Mayer's "Continuum" is nothing short of a modern blues masterpiece. Blues "purists" would argue that fact until they die, and while John Mayer might be mixing the blues and pop genres, he does it in a respectful, and pleasant way. Starting out with "Waiting on the World to Change" was really a great decision. The song is uplifting and really opens the whole album up beautifully. The tone John is able to achieve not only on this album, but when he is playing these songs live is unparalleled in this genre. Clapton, SRV, Carl Weathersby are all greats in the blues genre, but I challenge the clean tone John achieves in this album with any of them. Some of the coolest pedal effects I've ever heard on "I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)" and "In Repair." My personal favorites on the album are: "Gravity," "I Don't Trust Myself," and of course, the amazing "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room." Honestly, I could list every song on this album in my "Top 20 Favorite Songs". The album is literally a masterpiece. A true virtuoso. P.S. There is a great Hendrix "Bold as Love" cover as well if you are into that sort of things.

"Dreaming with a Broken Heart" and "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" are too insanely deep, heartfelt, songs. John is so much more than the average pop love-song-writing fools that are out in the market today. You can hear his artistry and that is one of the most difficult things to achieve in the music industry. Melody and lyrics have to work harmoniously in order to achieve a truly heartwarming song, and John achieves that in almost every song on "Continuum." You can't help but head-bob on a lot of these songs, and lyrically, his relatability is unparalleled. "Continuum" is definitely an unmatched album in the world of blues - pop and it will be a difficult on to match for John. He still has yet to even come close with his latest three albums. In fact, the only thing that matches this album's heart and intensity is the live "Where the Light Is" concert in L.A.

I would buy this album as many times as I need to. In fact, before I joined Spotify, if I wanted to listen to this album and couldn't find it, I would buy it on iTunes wherever I was. I can honestly say I've purchase this album 10 times with not a single regret. "Vultures" is one of the most creative songs I have every heard. Who would think to put those pedals together and play that funky, incredible lick. The best part, "Vultures," while being one of the more simple songs in terms of technical ability, is probably one of the most complex in it's ability to just flat out capture your attention instantly. To me, this is why John sticks out front and center in the world of blues. It's great to be the best guitar player in the world, like Weathersby, or SRV, but if you can't capture the masses, and bring people to your music, all of the technical ability in the world is for not. I think of John Mayer not as a musician, but as a composer, writing beautiful compositions that are not only soulful, but uplifting. Honestly, if you don't like "Continuum," you just hate music.

YouTube preview picture