Heavier Things review by John Mayer

• Released: Sep 9, 2003
John Mayer: Heavier Things

I have always thought John's playing styles were awesome. He knows what he's doing when it comes to playing his instrument. He gets very involved with his playing, especially in his concert (for anybody who's ever been to one, you know). A lot of times he has been placed under the category of pop music because of his soft tempos and abilities to hit high notes. This is true only to an extent. What you have with this album is an adult alternative genre with a bluesy twist. Hats off to you John, you deserve since you've dedicated years of playing to your guitar. For the guy that gave this album a bad rating is probably some heavy metal punk who couldn't come close to playing the stuff on it, so a word of advice to you, go lock yourself in your garage where you belong and strum your stupid power chords.

Another perfect score for the album on the lyrics. A great job just like Room for Squares. He has an awesome talent for creating very vivid lyrics that are much more meaningful than the lyrics of most songs these days. I know that like myself, others do get tired of hearing songs about sob stories of how somebody lost their girl or getting revenge on a lost love, it seriously gets old. I've personally tried to sing while playing his stuff, and I admit, it's hard to do. He does any awesome job of singing while he plays.

I agree with the other guy, Heavier Things is at the top of my list, right along with his last album. "Something's Missing" and "Clarity" are really amazing. They both have great lyrics and a good follow up on the playing. I love that it's an album that's got plenty of rythm. I'd have to buy this album if I lost it or got it stolen. It's worth every penny you spend, especially if you're an aspiring guitarist that wants to hear talent. Get out there and buy this album as soon as you can.