Room for Squares review by John Mayer

• Released: Sep 18, 2001
John Mayer: Room for Squares

I was really impressed with this album because first of all it's so different from his style of music now. I know that I'm really late in getting this album but my first John Mayer album I got was Heavier Things which was really the transition from his kind of slow kind of agressive acoustic style to a blues and rock sound. Not to say that Continuum or any of his other albums are bad but I really think that this was probably his prime because he still wasn't known by the public yet so he was just doing what he did. This album features a heavy handed pop sound like his song No Such Thing and 3x5. It also has classical style picking and slow pop rock kind of sound like his song he won a grammy for Your Body Is A Wonderland. Room For Squares overall is a great album and I think that one attribute to John Mayer's talent is that each album is not exactly the same so he keeps us going "Huh?" Now I think that his rise to popularity in the Blues Rock and Pop Rock has changed him to a point that he feels that he has to give the public what they want. Though I have to say after seeing him perform at the grammys this year I noticed that he has changed his hair back to the way it was. Does this mean he might be changing back to his Pop rock days? Mabey, mabey not but I do feel after releasing Continuum that his style will changed, even in the slightest degree.

The lyrics on this album are really no different from his other albums. I personally feel that the lyrics on this album are probably his best because they really explain him as a person with out being strange or anything like that. There really isn't much more to say about his lyrics, yea they are really good but that's really it.

Overall I fell that this may his best album because all of his songs on it are appreciated. Other favorite artists of mine are Lynyrd Skynyrd (strangely enough) and Montgomery gentry and the thing that is different about John Mayer and them is that they all have a "favorite" song but when it comes to John Mayer all of his songs are a favorite because they all have a way of grabbing of your attention. No doubt Room For Squares is one of John Mayer's best albums, even if it's the oldest.