Room for Squares review by John Mayer

• Released: Sep 18, 2001
John Mayer: Room for Squares

The first I heard John Mayer, it was due to a suggestion from a friend of mine, and I'll be honest and say that I was very skeptical, as bad as popular music is these days. Well, I listened to his second album and it's the best thing I've heard all year. "Room for Squares" (2001) supports the acoustic hype, and kind of reminded me of a less-known acoustic artist, David Wilcox. However, Mayer's voice is unique as his music (no offence to aWilcox. In fact, I highly suggest Mayer fans look him up) and his music is great.

The lyrics are really, really well written, especially for a second album. I enjoy every single song, as good as his voice and general music is (and lyrics, of course.) The lyrics and music blend together really well, with some really good acoustic tracks being "No Such Thing," etc. I know the staff at Ultimate-Guitar don't appreciate glowing reviews, but John Mayer is that good. However, some of the lyrics are kind of, can I use the word lame when it comes to Mayer? 8/10, anyway, for a really good album.

I actually like this more than the followup album, 'Heavier Things' (2003). I can't find the debut album anywhere, but as soon as I can, I'll take a listen, though it's an EP and many of the tracks ended up polished up on this album, including some of the really great tracks like "No Such Thing," "My Stupid Mouth," and "Neon." The best tracks on *this* album include those three and "Your Body is a Wonderland" and "City Love," the latter of which incorporates a blues-ish sort of sound. I love Mayer's great voice and playing skills. Great job, 9/10. It's no wonder he's at the top of the charts.

Drapte
    This is his best album hands down. No idea why Continuum has a 10 and this only has a 9 on this site