The Search For Everything review by John Mayer

• Released: Apr 14, 2017
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
John Mayer: The Search For Everything

John Mayer's credentials as a guitar player are pretty much unnecessary to mention here. Whether it be electric blues in his John Mayer Trio, jamming hard with Dead & Company (a band consisting of former Grateful Dead members), or simply as a solo artist, Mayer has really carved out his own little niche in the guitar world, combining the bluesy Strat-weilding sound of Stevie Ray Vaughan with the modern pop sensibility of so many current music stars.

In researching for this review, I found very little mention of the sound of the album in many other reviews and news articles, choosing instead to focus on the album's lyrical content and vocals, and that probably tells you all you need to know about the typical audience this album is meant for: people who generally can't tell one end of a guitar from the other. And yet, on this collection of songs, John manages to inject a significant amount of excellent guitar playing throughout. There's a fair amount of sonic variety on the album, with songs each being in their own particular style, though a common stylistic theme on this album is something far more country-rock oriented, particularly later on in the album.

Opening the album is "Still Feel Like Your Man", which is a typically Mayer-esque jazzy, funky pop/rock tune, and its pulsing muted guitar riff is actually a great delight to listen. This sort of guitar-oriented pop sound is definitely refreshing, and yet this is still a tune I can easily see being a radio hit. "Emoji of a Wave", rather silly title aside, is also a pretty good acoustic pop song with a great sense of dynamics and swelling harmony vocals (courtesy of Al Jardine of The Beach Boys and his son Matt) and an absolutely lovely melody. "Helpless" opens with the "hardest" guitar riff on the album, John wrangling a decent rock tone out of his Strat. The song also features probably one of the catchiest hooks on the album. First single "Love on the Weekend" is a much more laid-back ordeal, reminiscent of later era Eagles tracks (circa "The Long Run" and "Hell Freezes Over") with a more modern pop melodic sensibility.

YouTube preview picture

"In The Blood" features more acoustic guitars and a country-esque atmosphere, as well as a guest appearance on vocals from Sheryl Crow. Despite the guest appearance, I don't feel this song is as strong as the four that opened the record, though the chorus hook is not bad at all. "Changing" is a waltzy, mellow ballad largely featuring piano and slide guitar accompanying Mayer's vocal. Further cementing the idea that it's not necessarily the musician crowd that other reviews are geared toward, the largely instrumental "Theme from 'The Search For Everything'" doesn't even warrant a mention in other reviews, but this brief acoustic-led interlude is one of my favourite moments on the record, with a really neat chord progression and an equally impressive wordless vocal melody that actually reminds me of the kind of work Devin Townsend was doing on some of his much softer solo work.

Comparing Mayer to Townsend is quite a stretch, and it's admittedly a very brief moment, because right away, we're back to the "guitar+R&B formula" of "Moving On and Getting Over", a decent tune, but not anything particularly groundbreaking. "Never on the Day You Leave" is a country-esque piano ballad, and a nice track, but by this point on the album, you start kind of hoping to hear John get into a more rockin' headspace. "Rosie" almost satisfies this, with a more prominent focus on the electric guitar, and a very well-produced and well played drum part. The almost reggae-ish flavour of the song lends it a bit of a '70s flair that makes it one of my favourite tunes on the album, particularly with the harmonies in the chorus. "Roll It On Home" is a full-on country song, complete with pedal steel licks. "You're Gonna Live Forever in Me" closes out the album on a somber note, with most of the song featuring only Mayer's voice, piano, and a string arrangement. The songwriting on the album is decent, but nothing exemplary. It's all very much steeped in the concept of writing effective pop songs, so there aren't really any big surprises in terms of song structure or dynamics, but if you're looking for pop music with a more guitar-oriented flair, this is not necessarily a bad thing.

There's also quite a bit of stylistic variety from R&B-influenced pop to full-on country and '70s soft rock and folk. And yet, despite this variety, the album seems to retain a bit of a sense of the album featuring too many of the same kind of mellow sounds. There aren't really that many big stand-out moments where the pace or tone of the music picks up, and we get most of the album's energy in the first four songs. The instrumental performances are nothing to particularly write home about, but John makes the best of the mellower songwriting with a fairly adept guitar performance. It's a shame that the typical pop reviewers tend to overlook Mayer's guitar playing, as it's rather decent, though on this album, not entirely groundbreaking. Production-wise, Steve Jordan, Chad Franscoviak and John Mayer himself have crafted a very slick, modern production, but still managed to keep things very dynamic, with a lot of headroom, which is perhaps one of the benefits of such a mellow musical style.

The going theme with the lyrics on this album is that of "lost love", essentially making this a concept album about breakups. Particularly, as mentioned in many other sources, his breakup with pop star Katy Perry. It's rather typical pop song banter, nothing we haven't heard before from many lyricists, but the lyrics are not expressly awful or anything. Lines like "I still keep your shampoo in my shower/In case you wanna wash your hair/And I know that you probably found yourself some more somewhere/But I do not really care/'Cause as long as it is there/I still feel like your man" from the opening track are meant to be autobiographical and personal (as confirmed by Mayer on Twitter, probably the most impersonal place on the internet), but also intensely relatable at the same time, and he probably hits the mark quite well there.

But then you get the kind of modern pop lyrics that, while sure to make the track a pop hit, are just kind of cringe-worthy in "Love on the Weekend": "You be the DJ, I'll be the driver/You put your feet up in the getaway car/I'm flying fast like a, a wanted man/I want you, baby, like you can't understand". Honestly, this being relationship-oriented pop music, I find it a lot easier to simply tune out the lyrics, as they're mostly just generic diatribes on being in love, losing love, and it's a theme that, while certainly universal and easy to comprehend, is kind of done to death. Vocally, Mayer's smooth vocals do deliver these lyrics with a touch more poignancy than if they had been delivered by any one of today's other modern male pop sensations. As a vocalist, I've never found him any more impressive than most soft-rock male vocalists, but he does get the job done, and even manages to pull off a pretty good country drawl on some of the album's more southern-fried tracks.

With its mellow atmosphere and lyrics dealing with relationships at, near, or after their end, this is an album that's sure to be the soundtrack to many fresh breakups for a long time to come, and perhaps that's why there's very little focus on the sound of the record as opposed to its content. The universal emotional content of the album is certainly something that's going to ensure that Mayer gets a big paycheck from this album.

But when you take the focus off of the lyrical content, the instrumental performances on this album are strong enough to carry this record for fans of mellower pop-rock and country music. John Mayer has always made it clear that the guitar is his one true love, and this album is no exception to the rule, despite its lessened reliance on blues licks and electric guitars than some of his recent output. Those hoping for a John Mayer Trio-style album will no doubt be disappointed, though Steve Jordan (drums) and Pino Palladino (bass) do appear throughout the album. But as far as acoustic pop-rock goes, this is actually a fairly good quality record, even if it's a little unremarkable.

There are a handful of songs I do enjoy on the record, including "Still Feel Like Your Man", "Helpless", "Theme from 'The Search for Everything'", and "Rosie", which are definitely the most high-energy tracks on the album, and there are still good performances peppered through the album, but for the most part, it's just a bit too mellow for my tastes.

danye42
    6! .. man this album is great, it's funky and light, real feel good vibe.
    travislausch
    I wanted to give it a 7 at first, but I think the mellow vibe kinda killed it for me after a few listens in a row. But just know that when I started writing this review, I was a bit more positive about it   I feel like this is an album I might come back to in a few months or so and go "actually... I feel differently about it now".
    Kinslaya
    Hey! It's actually really cool, that you say that. There are many many albums where at first listen I thought "meh". Months later, while being on the PC and bored as fuck, I gave it another listen and LOVED it. And this feeling then remains. And then there's the opposite: Albums that click INSTANTLY and then lose their strength and quality quickly. And after the 10th or 15th playthrough you think "Yes, that'S awesome, but enough for the next few days" And never hear it again. Music is a funny thing sometimes.
    travislausch
    I'm actually planning a Youtube channel where I take a look back on some of the reviews I did and see how they stack up after some time. Problem with reviewing fresh music is you only really get a small amount of time to react to it, and there are times where I'm even starting to write my reviews before I've even finished listening to an album, just to meet a deadline. But yeah, often times, I find my opinions change quite a bit after I'm done a review. Though for me, it's most often that I give an album a very high rating (like 8 or 9), and then never listen to it again...  First album I plan to review on that channel is Dream Theater's "The Astonishing". It really hasn't held up well since I did my initial review
    Kinslaya
    Great that you answered to my comment and I really look forward to that YT channel. Fresh music is quite complicated nowadays.  Music IMO needs 1 thing. TIME. HANG TIME. For writing, for recording and for listening. It would need more time from the maker of the music, as of the listener/the fan. That's why your music channel idea here would be really awesome. Give an album that didn't get a good score another listen after a year. Did it get better? Did the ageing alter it in some way? I say: Do it. Notify me when your 1st vid airs.
    BwareDWare94
    Interesting fact about that muted riff in "Still Feel Like Your Man"--at least live he puts on a Jackson for that song. I think there's a distinct crunch to it that a strat will never provide, and I assume it was recorded with a Jackson, too.  Great album. He blends all of his influences together really well. I honestly wish he'd release an Americana album because I think his lyrics are more suited to that style and think it could really be fantastic. Certain songs on Born and Raised really displayed that, for me. Just go whole hog for an album, John. Please! There's something about "Love on the Weekend" that is just fun and easy to listen to on repeat. Lastly, John Mayer is a phenomenal guitar player, but his progress as a vocalist throughout his career is incredible. Room For Squares is hard to listen to, now, compared to everything after that. Even Heavier Things is so breathy, at times, but from Continuum on he's really progressed.
    hoonin_hooligan
    Good write up! Enjoying this album a lot so far, a few that might grow on me some more but I'd say your rating is pretty spot-on. Love on the Weekend is ridiculously catchy even if it is one of the less guitar driven songs on here
    ziproman
    When will John Mayer make a blues album? And I mean a fast, kick-ass rockin album like Gary Clark Jr? He is so much better than pop music! I wish they would team up on an album.
    GR84
    I actually enjoyed the mellow aspect of this record, as it seems that was your only quarrel with it, but i think it makes for a enjoying and engaging album
    travislausch
    I don't think it was my only quarrel with it, as I found a lot of the songwriting itself rather unadventurous, and the lyrics were kind of cringe-y. But I dunno, I expected something with a little more energy in it, since I'm far more familiar with Mayer's bluesy trio stuff and have only heard a small number of his solo album tunes before this.
    D4CE
    The album is no Continuum or TRY! but it's great to hear John play some really great groove based songs from John again. Moving On, Still Feel Like Your Man and Helpless are all incredible. Rosie is great as well. Wave (I refuse to use its real name), In The Blood and You Will Live Forever In Me are all great ballads, all with great, great lyrics.  Roll It On Home feels out of place and Never On The Day You Leave could've been replaced with a more upbeat song.
    mobidguitar
    Honestly, i was really hoping for a death metal album, so i  had to vote no. Theres only some much you can do with picking one string for a half hour at a time. Its really time to man-up John, your sister can rock harder than you. Put down the mandolin and play some shred. Im tired of this 15 year introduction...
    GR84
    I agree! This a great release by Mayor, he sounds at ease and the songs are well crafted. There is some great subtle guitar work, and his vocals are in top form. Of all the album this one probably reminds me most of my previous favorite Born and Raised, its more introspective and songwriter oriented. I'm definitely enjoying this one quite a bit,
    GR84
    Mayer, not Mayor - i still cant find that edit button i keep hearing about, haha