Try! review by John Mayer

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
John Mayer: Try!

For starters, I've been waiting for this CD forever. When I threw it in my CD player; I was in heaven through all 11 tracks. The new trio John has formed has the unique power a well formed band should have. Each musician (Steve Jordan - drums, Pino Palladino - bass, John Mayer - guitar) is quite obviously very experienced. The timbre of each instrument melds perfectly together. I was slightly (now that's very slightly) skeptical that John could really pull off the blues sound, the sound you would only expect from aged blues artists, but he did it. They did it. Quite well, at that. Have you heard his solo on 'Wait Until Tomorrow'?

The first track seems like John's lashing out at those who didn't know his other side, his blues side. When he sings 'Who Did You Think I Was' I just smile and nod at the fact he did go out and make this trio, a blues band hes been waiting for. With the cover of Jimi's 'Wait Until Tomorrow', John hits it. Of course, what else would you suspect? Gravity turned out really well. Its a very heavy song, Johns new blues. Another Kind of Green is really fun as well, I continually repeat that song.

You can't really compare Try! to Heavier Things Or Room For Squares, just because it isn't really the same genre. It is John, but not the John of today. I haven't heard a better trio since the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Specially noted tracks: Good Love Is On The Way, Another Kind Of Green, Try, Wait Until Tomorrow. If this was stolen, I would find out who stole it, whether they like listening to John Mayer or the CD; if yes, then politely ask for it back and tell them they should buy their own; if no, then beat them with my arm as hard as I could, kick them and stuff, then take back the CD. If it was broken during the kicking, I'd go out and buy 4 more, just cause it is that good.