Try! review by John Mayer

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
John Mayer: Try!

Many people questioned John Mayer's ability to play the blues, but in this CD, he shows that his power with music doesn't stop with alternate rock. Mayer has the gift of a blues voice as well as the gift of playing a great blues guitar.

The lyrics to some songs are somewhat complicated. But, the blues feel is intertwined into every song on the disk. Mayer ever pulled in the lyrics of the mainstream "Gold Digger" for "I Got A Woman." The first few songs on the disk were as if John was saying, 'In your face!' to everyone that doubted his power to harness the blues. Along with the lyrics of new songs, the disk also offers you some songs to keep you grounded, "Something's Missing" and "Daughters," both are from his "Heavier Things."

This album is much different than Mayer's prior works. Fans of him in his earlier days should pick right up with his blues feel. This is truly a great disc. I loved it and I listened to it eight times the first night I bought it. I love the guitar solos and, of course, Mayer's blues voice. If this album were stolen or lost, there is no doubt in my mind that I would rush to the closest place I could find that had this CD. I love this CD that much. It's my favorite Mayer CD to date.