Try! review by John Mayer

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
John Mayer: Try!

Finally what us guitar enthusiasts have been waiting for! A mainstream frontman who knows how to rock. The solos are incredibly energetic, and the melodys really capture the blues mood. Ever since I saw John play "Texas Flood" by SRV, I've had to wait for a barebone guitar, bass, drum sound like this out of him. Maybe this is a sign that he is finally done with all those horns and keyboards and overproduction.

The lyrics are always well done when it comes from Mayer, but the instrumental talent surrounding the lyrics makes them seem almost unimportant to the sound. John's voice is a very good fit for a blues style album, and his words as well. You won't be hearing any high pitched squeaks or "Your Body Is A Wonderland" on this album, just good old blues.

This blows every other album John has recorded out of the water. I had never been a big fan of John's, except for the occasional "Blues Intro" from As/Is and covers from SRV and others. However, this album's solos have somewhat of a Stevie Ray Vaughan-esque feel to them. This album wouldn't ever be stolen from me because I always carry a crossbow.