Try! review by John Mayer

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
John Mayer: Try!

Great sound, especially from a live performance. A few lines of dialogue between one or two songs that are inaudible, but a volume crank can fix that. Despite what Mayer said about changing styles and dumping the acoustic ballads, I don't think the change is as drastic as he imagined. Anyone listeners of Mayer's earlier stuff, especially Heavier Things, probably detected the blues influence. It is just more apparent here.

Mayer has always been an excellent lyricist. Opening track Who Did You Think I was is a bit humorous ("Here is a line that you won't understand/I'm half of the boy but I'm twice the man"). Good Love Is On The Way is an optimistic love song. Wait Until Tomorrow is great ("Click, bang, what a shame, your daddy just shot poor me"). Out Of My Mind is more of what I expected from the album, and is composed of many repeated lines, such is the trademark of blues.

There is a definite comparison between Try! and Heavier Things. Who Did You Think I was is funky and fun. Good Love Is On The Way is, in my opinion, the most radio-friendly track. Wait Until Tomorrow is good, especially the backup vocals in the chorus. Gravity is a beautiful song, very emotional. Vultures is a fun riff with amusing backup vocals in the chorus as well. Out Of My Mind is bluesy. Another Kind Of Green has a strange timing, but Mayer makes it work. I Got A Woman is a legitimate cover of ol' Ray. Previous fans will recognize Something's Missing and Daughters. The last track, Try, has a gospel sound, and ends the album on an uplifting note. This is a fantastic CD and a must-have for any John Mayer fan.