Try! review by John Mayer

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
John Mayer: Try!

Eversince I listened to John's first album, I've been thinking to myself, "When is John going to release an all blues album?" Well, that thought has now been answered. John Mayer Trio is John's venture into the blues, with his unique jazzy and funky touch of course. He's great at solo guitar, but he's also a wonderful rhythm guy. I love what he did rhythmically in this album.

John's vocal has improved significantly. He sings on higher notes than he usually tackles. There are some straight up blues, but songs like Good Love Is On The Way is a blend of blues solo played over a pop rock tune. Lyric wise, it is probably much simpler than his previous outings. Although it's simpler, it's much more grown up than "Your Body Is A Wonderland" stuff.

Overall, to me, John Mayer Trio is probably John's tribute to his hero Jimi Hendrix. Not only is there a Jimi tune in the Trio's album (Wait Until Tomorrow), he played with what I think is Jimi's Strat on his live shows. I love the fast beat of the album, you can dance to it. it's blues yet you can dance to it. if it were stolen, I'd probably get another one. I really wish there were no "Daughters" or "Something Missing." Instead, put two more new songs in it. but the rest of the songs are solid. Must have.