Try! review by John Mayer

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
John Mayer: Try!

This is it for John Mayer fans. This CD shows Mayer's range from the blusiest "Out Of My Mind" to renditions of his pop hits "Daughters" and "Something's Missing." As always, his playing is spectacular and he really shows how great a musician he is and how great a musician he can be. The additions of Steve Jordan and Pino Paladino show how serious he is about putting out a great record.

Clever as always. "Who Did You Think I Was?" is Mayer showing off his lyrical skills. The great thing about Mayer's lyrics is you can relate, both with Try! and with previous records. This is nothing new in this category, just much more of the same great, catchy, how-did-he-think-of-that music.

For all those that never respected John Mayer as a musician, that said he was too poppy to be taken seriously, this is the record that will stop the naysayers in their negative tracks. Bringing in the heavyweights that are Steve Jordan and Pino Paladino and being able to command all 11 performances on this album really says something to Mayer's talent. As far as his pop future, with the debut of "Continuum", we may see a shift away from that, but as far as Try! goes, he's made some changes. Expect to see Mayer ranked up there with blues greats such as B.B. King and Buddy Guy, he's surely on his way.

skinnbones3440
    is it just me or did your hero actually say that he swapped out lyrics from gold digger? gold digger swapped out lyrics from i got a woman by ray charles lol. smart one dude.
    doublefourtime
    love this CD. it kinda changed the way i thought about the record industry and what you can do w/music, 1 of my favs.