Where The Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles [DVD] review by John Mayer

• Released: Jul 1, 2008
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
John Mayer: Where The Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles [DVD]

Simple answer. Amazing. Crystal clear, and get every little detail from guitars, drums, and of course their (both Mayer's voice and the backing vocals) voices. And it is John Mayer, so it can't be bad. But seriously, he was really in his ace on that night! Hits every high note perfectly, and his guitar playing is absolutely amazing, and with Robbie McIntosh by his side, it can't be bad. But just some awesome sound on this! And a great idea about doing "three different artists," the first acoustic "warmup" the trio and then the main attraction. Brilliant, and nothing but a 10 would justify it.

Content — 9
Well, it has the whole concert (except 2 songs that were mysteriously left out). We even get to see some backstage action and a few other things from before and during the concert that the concertgoers didn't see! It's nice to get some extra inside knowledge on Mayer. To be honest, the concert would be enough in itself, since it is so great, but there is also a special performance of "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room," which is performed on Mulholland drive OUTSIDE. There is also some multi angle cam shot from the perspectives of drummer Steve Jordan and bassplayer Pino Palladino, but it is nothing special. It is not loaded with extras, but just the concert would be enough to justify the asking price. Sadly, they cut 2 songs which is questionable! So it's a 9 from me here.

Production Quality — 10
Well, it is great quality. Really good, clear camera shots where you can see loads of detail on the set, guitars, and the people on stage, of course including John Mayer! The multitude of angles of shot are really great, and you get to see what the guys at the concert saw because of the shots from their angle, and you get to see John Mayer's point of view as well. All in all, the production quality is really high. Again, the sound is really high quality, and so is the rest of the DVD. Brilliant! 10 here. Can't see what could be better.

Just fantastic. I am so glad I bought it. Just put it on, crank the volume up and enjoy the next 2 and a half hours of amazing John Mayer guitar playing, and his fantastic unique voice. You get all of his best stuff, and some unexpected, but welcome additions like "Free Fallin'" by our dear Mr. Petty, and some other great covers (mostly by the trio) The sound quality is great, John Mayer and co. Is completely mind-blowing, production quality is highest class, and you feel privileged to be allowed to witness a world class performance by John Mayer. Buy it guys, it's really cheap, and I have watched it 5 times now (only had it a year or so). Many words have been written now, but 1 word and a number should be enough. Amazing.

Frank M
    Mr. MarkFlink, I appreciated your write up up at the top of this chain, very positive. I really like John Mayer's guitar playing and his vocal's are unique. I enjoy putting some of his CDs on just laying back and letting the music fill the room. I'd love to play the guitar like that...I really enjoyed John Mayer and BB King playing together a while back; I still watch them on stage on YouTube once in a while. Thanks for the write up.
    MarcFlink
    No problem at all The other review was so cynical and it gave people the impression that the dvd wasnt even good, so i had to speak up! And i do the same thing as you buddy :p Nothing like a good dose of Mayer to make your day better xD And Mayer+B.B King was amazing!!