Where The Light Is: Live In Los Angeles review by John Mayer

• Released: Jul 1, 2008
John Mayer: Where The Light Is: Live In Los Angeles

Really great comprehensive performance. A great CD for the 'radio-loving' John mayer fan to be opened up to his abilities not only as an elite electric/acoustic guitar player but also as an amazing vocalist. John and his fantastic bandmates really shine on this CD. The three sets are both original and different in their style. The acoustic set shows Johns abilities on the acoustic guitar with his wicked solo on neon and through the performance of stop this train and the formerly unreleased In your atmosphere. The trio set has to be heard to be believed. Pino Steve and John really gel as a band. One can really see the SRV/Hendrix influence on John through his amazing guitar work. The band set is also unreal.

John's lyrics are always his strong point and they really shine through on this album. Since most JM fans would likely have heard all of these songs already, I can't really mention any new development as a lyricist since Continuum, but to hear some of the classics and the covers re-done really added to my appreciation for John as a musician.

I would say if you are looking to hear John primarily as an acoustic artist. The Village sessions is a better choice... and if you are looking for him as a bluesman, purchase Try! But if you are looking for an exhibition of john (and his band's) musical talents, this is the best there is. It really doesn't get much better. I saw him in Toronto on July 7th and his performance was very very similar to the one displayed on this CD. Buy this album.

James_Water2
    Great live album (much like his first one) and I cant get enough of his cover of Free Fallin'. Nice to see a man who can top his top notch studio work with over the top live.
    jaquito
    joshnerez
    i actually did receive the cd and dvd of this one for christmas the next year upon its release. i never thought a friend of mine would gift to me. i was only borrowing the cd from my friend. he thinks that he should give me one so i wont bother him no more. ahahaha! loved all the three re-incarnations of john mayer. a huge influence in my playing. he did a great job in combining his alter-egos to one. the acoustic set was the best one for me. i already predicted the sound of the trio and the band since, ive been too focused on johns electric side. his cover on free fallin was very convictional. he did a great job on it and the arrangement was cool. never too hard and never to easy on the revision. john really has big ears, it made him one of my heroes when i felt his soul on the continuum album.
    sharee
    i've watched the thing a few minutes ago (for the 3rd time i think--i just can't get enough of it, and it gets me goosebumps and jaw drops EVERY time!) i think john mayer is a complete deal--the lyrics are very imaginative and visionary, and the guitars are just awesome. really really awesome.
    Jake2e
    this is a great album i love hearing it on Youtube but where can i actually get the album?
    Mr. Tomnus
    it doesnt matter how hatd a musicians song is. better to be simple and have something to say than be complex with nothing to say. cobain anyone?
    phat104u
    bassetrox wrote: jaquito wrote: dizasterous wrote: Not to sound conceded... but all his songs are easy... very easy. If you think all his songs are easy, you clearly haven't tried to play Neon or Stop This Train, or tried to sing at the same time as you play Who Did You Think I Was or Belief. Or perhaps you'd like to try the hammer-and-pull fills he does in the background rhythm guitar while singing in his cover of Bold as Love. Honestly, I think John proves himself more not when he's soloing, but rather when he's just being a badass musician. +1 to all that. Ive mastered STT but Neon is the hardest song I've ever tried to play, this guy is a ridiculously good lead guitarist, but his acoustic playing tops even that.
    +2. I've got STT down, but Neon is still hard because of the speed. Haven't practiced it in a while; still stuck on that last chord position, getting there fast enough accurately.
    bassetrox
    Xero/Cool
    ease doesnt matter as much as originallity or sound
    Very true. Sometimes simplicity is far more better than complexity.
    mcfartknocker
    ease doesnt matter as much as originallity or sound. a lot of very unique stuff he dishes out.
    §tratocaster
    this is the only live concert i've heard where it is so absolutely flawless. you've gotta buy it everyone!! its so ridiculous.
    phat104u
    BOUNCE your right hand's fingers on the strings for Neon - it's all in the wrist. Playing it is a lot like playing Stop This Train, where you're slapping and flicking strings at the same time on some beats. John plays with two fingers, I play with three (Thumb, Index, Middle). It takes lots of practice - I learned STT first, and I'm still mastering nailing the chords for Neon fast enough - I can do the majority, but theres still that last chord position I just can't get to quick enough... yet.
    Lou_dog 71
    sloppy118
    Roedy0309 wrote: mr_sinistah wrote: Yer it was awesome Friend of mine was there too. So jealous. I wished he did some other old classics. Bigger Than My Body. I'm really hooked on Only Love recently :S I read somewhere that he did Bigger than My Body and No Such Thing but he didn't include them on the dvd or cd
    yeah he did. i watched it on youtube. but im not too sure if it is still up. it wouldn;t hurt to check though.
    tumbles23
    This is a great album.... well double album. Funnily enough i'm listening to it right now. I think this album especially in the Trio section focuses more on real 'guitar' music than some of the rest of his albums. His faster versions of some of the Trio songs were different, but certainly worked - they didn't appear rushed. As far as variety goes definatly his best release yet!
    Roedy0309
    philth
    I was given this DVD by a friend with an enthusiastic "You gotta check this guy out!". I must admit, I was more than a little sceptical, being more of a rock/blues/jazz fan. I'd only heard Mayers work like 'Your body is a wonderland' and 'Why Georgia' and it hadn't impressed me as anything other than radio-friendly pop. Well I put this in my player and right from his acoustic playing on 'Neon' I was blown away at this guy! The three mutations with himeself, then the trio, then the band was brilliant. His covers and songs like 'Slow dancing in a burning room' have hooked me. I'm kicking myself for not discovering this guy earlier. Brilliant player, amazing voice.
    mr_sinistah
    dizasterous
    Lou_dog 71 wrote: i can play all of his songs blues acoustic whatever... BUT i have yet to master Neon! its is soo Hard maybe it's just me but wow the technique kills me!
    Not to sound conceded... but all his songs are easy... very easy. What seperates the Men from the boys are the solos that are played throughout... sometimes threee or four in a single song