Rock Discipline [DVD] review by John Petrucci

• Released: Dec 1, 2002
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 9
John Petrucci: Rock Discipline [DVD]

Rock Discipline was first released on VHS back in 1995, in 2002 it has been updated to DVD format. The DVD contains the same lesson footage as the video, but features some extras like a backstage tour. Rock discipline goes for about 2 hours and it is not; as I expected an 'I play, now you play' type of DVD. John shows a variety of different excercises which encourage correct practice and self improvement. Rock Discipline will probably appeal most to players into rock, metal or shred music, however the warm up section should appeal to played on any genre.

Content — 8
The lesson section of the DVD contains: a very effective warm up section (including stretches and exercises) a section on playing with a metronome to build speed and accuracy, a section on scale fragments and how to use these to build solos. A section on picking arpeggios and 'inside string picking'. I found this section particularly handy. Very well explained. There is also a section focusing on legato playing. The most poorly explained part of this DVD is the section on sweep picking. John's explanation wasn't very thorough. The final section on chordal techniques was incredible, I learned a lot from that section about orchestration and interesting chords. It's a shame John didn't spend longer explaining that part. In between the sections there are seques where John talks about his inspirations and influences. Extras included on the DVD are a backstage tour with John; some footage of John Performing three of his songs at a G3 concert (unfortunatly these clips only go for about a minute each). There is a section of bloopers. A segment of tuning, Dream Theater biography. And a so called "interactive" tour of John's guitars, which was nowhere near as interactive as I expected it to be. There is also a tab book of all the excercises, so you can practice the excercises without having to watch the DVD

Production Quality — 9
Most of the footage of this DVD came straight from the VHS release. It's not the most modern DVD you are likely to see, but it's still charming. Three cameras were used to film this one focused on John whilst he explains things, one on his right hand, and you can guess where the other one is. The use of split screen between the left and right hands helps show correct technique.

I love this DVD, the lessons and advice given aren't stale and it has a friendly feel to it. It is unfortunate that some of the sections didn't go into more details. I liked the inclusion of the tab book; it makes it easy to follow along with the lessons. I think this DVD is definately worth a look at, even if it is just for the warm ups.

john21
    NathanWolff
    olithebass : listen to what petrucci has to play! obviously you can never play as good as he can as he has the ability to play 3000 notes per second using impossible time signatures of 64/13 and practicing 63 hours a day!!
    GustavLW
    But he might killed his father while practising as a kid... He played too fast.
    maidenfreak666
    dude adam02 is freken hilarious. small mammals are good for the hands lol XD.... vid 3 i think
    cukd7x-a2-
    john21 wrote: i need something like this. cause ive been teaching myself and i dont know if im plyaing right.
    you can us a technique book, or use tabs to start with alt rock. Thats how i did it 2 years ago and it was great, but PETRUCCI IS ONE OF THE BEST SHREDDERS IN THE WHOLE WORLD. This book would be good instruction.
    olithebass
    -blaze-
    killabob
    -blaze- wrote: did anyone check out adam02's dubbed version of John P's rock discipline on youtube? hilarious stuff..
    XD YES they were brilliant. that guy is a genius. never seen the original though, i may buy it when i have some money...
    StraightHate
    Great video; very useful exercises. I remember when I first got it I couldn't even play the warm-ups (I was like wow, I suck lol); now I'm a lot smoother.
    Divinephyton
    ''And if you can't play this on the first go, just...stop...just quit and sell your guitar on ebay, because you'll never be as fast or as good as me'' Love those Youtube parodies :p But the instructional video is a bit of a let down, I think it's more for the fans of DT and co than for general guitarists wanting to learn something. You do learn stuff, but there are better DVD's out there, that said there are a lot worse too. And the chordal technique part was interesting...
    SL!!!
    Ha, it looks like he's wearing a racing jacket which would be funny cus he's SO FAST. Haha, i really hope that is the case it would make my day.
    SicSeb
    @Blaze I think I did, if it was about that if he would play any faster your head would explode then yes =P I have this DVD for a while now but still haven't watched it completely. As far as I have seen it's a great DVD but when he is blasting with the metronome I felt like the worst guitarplayer on the planet XD I still haven't found the courage to watch the rest of it and practice, but I will, I know I will =P
    webbtje
    I am John Petrucci, and I am going to kill you. Those youtube parodies are damn funny. This is considered to be one of the best instructional vids around; I'll check this out as soon as I have some cash.
    GEARS_OF_DETH
    i really reccomend this DVD to anyone this video shows techiqiues then even i have master with time and energy i say get this while you still can