Suspended Animation review by John Petrucci

• Released: Mar 1, 2005
John Petrucci: Suspended Animation

You know, it's one thing to be in a band that plays metal and shred remarkably on guitar and another to make the guitar so vocal that it mezmorizes all that listen. Well, Petrucci does exactly both! Petrucci is known for his amazing palm-muted down-n-dirty riffage, but he really hit the nail on the head with this album. I just got it, and it totally opened the door as far as looking at guitar in a different perspective. He doesnt't use a lot of effects, and he gets every bit of distortion through his amps, and sweet tone through his amazing music man. This album is defanatly one where every song will move you. I love every song on this album, I was so surprised. I can literally turn it on and listen to all the songs straight through without skipping around to choose the one I want; that is what makes a perfect album for me.

There are no lyrics, but as I have said, the songs are vocal enough that every bar, every line catches your attention and keeps you interested. True story: I play my stuff around my mom, and she has commented on the fact that she doesn't like a lot of the stuff I listen to, except this CD. I told her who it was, and she had no idea just that I should make her a copy. She loves it, and I always hear the stuff when I get into her car.

I mostly listen to instrumental guitar; namely Satch, Gilbert, some Vai, and now Petrucci. I also like grunge, blues, rock, and some metal. This album fit very well into my collection of instrumentals I keep on my desk. It is always a treat to listen to on my mp3 player, in the car or on my computer. The most noted song on this album would probably have to be Glasgow Kiss, which has a bit of Scottish sound to it; hence it was written for Glasgow Scotland. It is a great song with a basic structure of A, B, A, where A is the begining and it returns at the end as an "outro" so to speak. I have seen Petrucci live, and he also likes to play "Damage Control", which has a breakdown halfway through that speeds up where he goes crazy and starts to pick-away! Great album, and I hope he comes out with more like it; absolutely brilliant.