Suspended Animation review by John Petrucci

• Released: Mar 1, 2005
John Petrucci: Suspended Animation

As you would expect from John Petrucci, this album is a progressive feat. Heavy riffing, stunning leads, and overall great guitar work. This album is his (from my understanding) main solo instrumental album. It's a pretty technical album, but surprisingly has less technical wankery than some of Dream Theaters stuff. This is more natural, and definitely has more emotion in it. This album has a great mix of styles, a huge testament of Petrucci's immense knowledge of guitar playing. This album really opened up my mind to Petrucci.

Suspended Animation is an instrumental album, so no vocals. Instead, I'll base this on how "vocal" the guitar work is, and how much it makes you not want vocals in the song. I was surprised at how emotional/vocal Petrucci's guitar playing is on this record, it's really good stuff. It's definitely up there on the level of guys like Satriani and Gilbert. I'll give it a 10 just because it's that good; you wont miss the vocals at all.

I haven't heard anything else by him, but I've heard his Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment work. I really think it's as good, if not better. It has all that great guitar work, plus the whole element of emotion that Petrucci is often criticized for "not having". I really like "Jaws of Life", "Glasgow Kiss", and "Lost Without You". Those are the songs, in my opinion, that really show his emotion, style, and diversity. I really can't knock this album for anything really, it's a great record. I would definitely buy it again if I lost it. I'm really happy with what he's managed to do on his own, and hopefully he eventually pumps out another amazing solo/instrumental album in the future.

X_Op3th_X
    I love this album! Glasgow Kiss is probably the best instrumental track I've come across. I'm not a DT fan (I think LaBrie's singing is awful, it's a pity though, cause everything else in DT is so tight... Just when the vocals kick in, I wanna poke my eyes out!) but I love everything in this album. Go go prog-heads!
    StratStar21
    Man, glasgow kiss just sounds so tasty! this album rocks, jp rocks. Rainbow is Gods greatest musical gift to the earth
    Ibanezguitar84
    This album is out of this word! I can't say witch song I like more... Petrucci shows his amazing techniques, making compositions that you can hear for ever!! He's incredible!
    slashe50
    John Petrucci can play better than anyone .
    jbone_sg
    this album makes me want to lock myself in my room for about 3 years and do nothing but play guitar...he can tell a story with his guitar, and i envy that great gift...
    ironwolg
    slashe50 wrote: headbanger245 wrote: john petrucci is an douchebag because he can play better than i can John Petrucci can play better than anyone.
    steve morse comes close, but i still think petrucci wins amazing album, Lost Without You and Animate Inanimate are amazing songs that seem to be forgotten by most people, they're some of the best!
    Dumpster510
    Phe4rTheGod wrote: i hate this guy...but damn he can play...
    There's nothing to hate about JP. Maybe you're just jealous.
    TheRocker074
    Dumpster510 : Phe4rTheGod wrote: i hate this guy...but damn he can play... There's nothing to hate about JP. Maybe you're just jealous.
    I know I am..o.O
    suppashredda
    and why isn't anybody talking about animate-inanimate? that was my favorite song after glasgow kiss... damn the album was good...
    Zappanator
    I am amazed...I love Dream Theater theyre one of my 2 favorite bands and Petrucci Is one of my top 5 guitarists...probably number 1. I recently listened to this album, and ummm God! It's so damn amazing I love it! Glasgow Kiss, Animate-Inanimate, and Jaws of Life are my favorite.