Suspended Animation review by John Petrucci

• Released: Mar 1, 2005
John Petrucci: Suspended Animation

John Petrucci is an astounding guitarist and he proves it with this album. He has been criticized for being "all technique and no emotion" but he proves that he can be very emotional with his playing with Wishful Thinking and Lost Without You. But fret not technical guitar freaks, his songs haven't lost their technical edge. The intro riff to Glassgow Kiss is an intimidating riff for any guitarist. It's got kind of a Scottish feel to it which is probably what inspired Paul Gilbert to get his band to do a jig during a G3 show. It also has some pretty heavy stuff on it like Jaws of Life which was played on a 7-string and Damage Control. Damage Control became one of my favorites because of the country shred breakdown in it; I've never heard anyone shred like that before and it's amazing. Tunnel Vision is very Joe Satriani inspired. If you listen to Satch's Crystal Planet album you will hear the influence it had on Tunnel Vision. Lost Without You starts off very mellow and laid back but towards the end gets really intense. Petrucci cranks up the distortion and lays on the wah to give a very heavy bluesy feel, very nice song with tons of emotion. And now the longest song on the album: Animate-Inanimate. It seems Petrucci refuses to make an album without having a song that goes over 10 minutes, and that's a good thing. It has a very middle eastern feel to it. It may take a little getting used to but it will definitely grow on you and become a favorite.

It's instrumental so there are no lyrics. His lyrical capability on guitar really shines in Wishful Thinking and Lost Without You. Even Glassgow Kiss has a very vocal sounding verse. A very wide variety of moods in this album, Petrucci captures emotion beautifully on his instrument. His guitar playing on this album is so amazing and vocal that I give this field a 10.

This ablum definitely stands up to instrumental guitar veterens like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Steve Morse, and Paul Gilbert, maybe even soars above them. If you love amazing guitar playing, technical guitar playing, emotional guitar playing....you know what, if you love guitar, you'll pick up this album. Petrucci is the world's greatest guitar player in my oppinion; you won't be disappointed. If this album was stolen, I would hunt down the person that stole it, ask their oppinion on it, and then beat them with a 5 foot bamboo stick regardless of their answer. If I couldn't find them, I would buy the album again. The only problem is that Windows Media Player can't seem to find the right info or album art. It seems to want to take song names from "An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess"(another great album). As far as the album goes, there's nothing to hate about it. Just go buy it.