Suspended Animation Review

John Petrucci: Suspended Animation
Release Date: 2005
Label: Sound Mind Music
Genres: Guitar Virtuoso
His debut solo effort takes the listener on a journey through musical soundscapes with his signature shredding combined with melodic compositions that are sure to delight his Dream Theater fans, as well as new listeners.
 9.6
 9.2
 2,513
Suspended Animation Reviewed by: Webercharge, on january 25, 2006

Sound: Being sold exclusively on his website, Dream Theater guitarist, John Petrucci's first solo album "Suspended Animation" doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. The album is a mix between Joe Satriani's and Steve Morse's instrumental records, but has alot more metal based riffs and grooves. Due to his virtuosity, Petrucci doesn't stick with only one playing style. His technical abilities and precision are well known as being second to none, arguably the best around. But on "Suspended Animation" it's Petrucci's sense of melody that shines through. Standout tracks, such as "Glasgow Kiss" and "Wishful Thinking" really shows his incredible range, but as does the more groovy "Jaws Of Life" and "Damage Control" while "Tunnel Vision" and "Curve" can be compared to Joe Satriani's "Raspberry Jam Delta-V" and songwriting on "The Extremist" album. All eight tracks on "Suspended Animation" really certifies John Petrucci as being one of the greatest guitar heroes. // 10

Lyrics: Instrumental album. No lyrics needed, anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: "Suspended Animation" is one of the greatest instrumental rock albums of the last decade or so. It's definitely as good as great instrumental albums such as Joe Satriani's "The Extremist," Steve Vai's "Passion And Warfare" and Steve Morse's work in Dixie Dregs and Steve Morse Band. Having Dave LaRue on bass guitar also gives the music a whole new dimension. // 10

Suspended Animation Reviewed by: frazzledazzle, on april 25, 2006

Sound: This album blows me away! I bought it off of Petrucci's webpage immediately after seeing the latest g3 DVD, maily due to my favourite song off the album, Glasgow Kiss. If you havent heard Glasgow Kiss, then hurry up and give it a listen. You dont know what you are missing. The sound is similar to Dream Theater, however the keyboard and the incredibly tight "full band" runs are not present. This is a good thing however; basically what solo projects are for. There are some great heavy songs, such as Jaws of Life and Damage Control, and some great slow, soft songs, such as Wishful Thinking. The solo on this song in particular is stunning. // 10

Lyrics: No Lyrics. But Ill give it a 10 because the lead guitar in albums like this are singing their own lyrics. And the lead is amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: Love it. Overall, it reminds me of a heavier version of Satriani's Strange Beautiful Music, with dare I say, better musicality. if you loved Petrucci on the G3 DVD, buy this album. If it was stolen, I'd get a new one. However it is hard to find, so use Petrucci's webpage. // 10

Suspended Animation Reviewed by: ironwolg, on july 01, 2009

Sound: John Petrucci is an astounding guitarist and he proves it with this album. He has been criticized for being "all technique and no emotion" but he proves that he can be very emotional with his playing with Wishful Thinking and Lost Without You. But fret not technical guitar freaks, his songs haven't lost their technical edge. The intro riff to Glassgow Kiss is an intimidating riff for any guitarist. It's got kind of a Scottish feel to it which is probably what inspired Paul Gilbert to get his band to do a jig during a G3 show. It also has some pretty heavy stuff on it like Jaws of Life which was played on a 7-string and Damage Control. Damage Control became one of my favorites because of the country shred breakdown in it; I've never heard anyone shred like that before and it's amazing. Tunnel Vision is very Joe Satriani inspired. If you listen to Satch's Crystal Planet album you will hear the influence it had on Tunnel Vision. Lost Without You starts off very mellow and laid back but towards the end gets really intense. Petrucci cranks up the distortion and lays on the wah to give a very heavy bluesy feel, very nice song with tons of emotion. And now the longest song on the album: Animate-Inanimate. It seems Petrucci refuses to make an album without having a song that goes over 10 minutes, and that's a good thing. It has a very middle eastern feel to it. It may take a little getting used to but it will definitely grow on you and become a favorite. // 10

Lyrics: It's instrumental so there are no lyrics. His lyrical capability on guitar really shines in Wishful Thinking and Lost Without You. Even Glassgow Kiss has a very vocal sounding verse. A very wide variety of moods in this album, Petrucci captures emotion beautifully on his instrument. His guitar playing on this album is so amazing and vocal that I give this field a 10. // 10

Overall Impression: This ablum definitely stands up to instrumental guitar veterens like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Steve Morse, and Paul Gilbert, maybe even soars above them. If you love amazing guitar playing, technical guitar playing, emotional guitar playing....you know what, if you love guitar, you'll pick up this album. Petrucci is the world's greatest guitar player in my oppinion; you won't be disappointed. If this album was stolen, I would hunt down the person that stole it, ask their oppinion on it, and then beat them with a 5 foot bamboo stick regardless of their answer. If I couldn't find them, I would buy the album again. The only problem is that Windows Media Player can't seem to find the right info or album art. It seems to want to take song names from "An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess"(another great album). As far as the album goes, there's nothing to hate about it. Just go buy it. // 10

Suspended Animation Reviewed by: dogismycopilot, on january 16, 2008

Sound: You know, it's one thing to be in a band that plays metal and shred remarkably on guitar and another to make the guitar so vocal that it mezmorizes all that listen. Well, Petrucci does exactly both! Petrucci is known for his amazing palm-muted down-n-dirty riffage, but he really hit the nail on the head with this album. I just got it, and it totally opened the door as far as looking at guitar in a different perspective. He doesnt't use a lot of effects, and he gets every bit of distortion through his amps, and sweet tone through his amazing music man. This album is defanatly one where every song will move you. I love every song on this album, I was so surprised. I can literally turn it on and listen to all the songs straight through without skipping around to choose the one I want; that is what makes a perfect album for me. // 10

Lyrics: There are no lyrics, but as I have said, the songs are vocal enough that every bar, every line catches your attention and keeps you interested. True story: I play my stuff around my mom, and she has commented on the fact that she doesn't like a lot of the stuff I listen to, except this CD. I told her who it was, and she had no idea just that I should make her a copy. She loves it, and I always hear the stuff when I get into her car. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly listen to instrumental guitar; namely Satch, Gilbert, some Vai, and now Petrucci. I also like grunge, blues, rock, and some metal. This album fit very well into my collection of instrumentals I keep on my desk. It is always a treat to listen to on my mp3 player, in the car or on my computer. The most noted song on this album would probably have to be Glasgow Kiss, which has a bit of Scottish sound to it; hence it was written for Glasgow Scotland. It is a great song with a basic structure of A, B, A, where A is the begining and it returns at the end as an "outro" so to speak. I have seen Petrucci live, and he also likes to play "Damage Control", which has a breakdown halfway through that speeds up where he goes crazy and starts to pick-away! Great album, and I hope he comes out with more like it; absolutely brilliant. // 10

Suspended Animation Reviewed by: TJM2482, on january 26, 2008

Sound: As you would expect from John Petrucci, this album is a progressive feat. Heavy riffing, stunning leads, and overall great guitar work. This album is his (from my understanding) main solo instrumental album. It's a pretty technical album, but surprisingly has less technical wankery than some of Dream Theaters stuff. This is more natural, and definitely has more emotion in it. This album has a great mix of styles, a huge testament of Petrucci's immense knowledge of guitar playing. This album really opened up my mind to Petrucci. // 10

Lyrics: Suspended Animation is an instrumental album, so no vocals. Instead, I'll base this on how "vocal" the guitar work is, and how much it makes you not want vocals in the song. I was surprised at how emotional/vocal Petrucci's guitar playing is on this record, it's really good stuff. It's definitely up there on the level of guys like Satriani and Gilbert. I'll give it a 10 just because it's that good; you wont miss the vocals at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I haven't heard anything else by him, but I've heard his Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment work. I really think it's as good, if not better. It has all that great guitar work, plus the whole element of emotion that Petrucci is often criticized for "not having". I really like "Jaws of Life", "Glasgow Kiss", and "Lost Without You". Those are the songs, in my opinion, that really show his emotion, style, and diversity. I really can't knock this album for anything really, it's a great record. I would definitely buy it again if I lost it. I'm really happy with what he's managed to do on his own, and hopefully he eventually pumps out another amazing solo/instrumental album in the future. // 10

Comments