At Folsom Prison review by Johnny Cash

• Released: Apr 30, 1968
Johnny Cash: At Folsom Prison

Johnny Cash's music has been loved by fans of genres outside of Country. I myself have never been a fan of country, and as much as I didn't like Johnny Cash, His music was so good that I just couldn't help but listen to it. As many know, Cash made this album after he got off of drugs, and it became one of the top ten best-selling albums of the '60s. This albumdeserved that title.

Some of Cash's music is repetitive, and tends to use the same bass line, however he makes up forthis in his lyrics. Sometimes bluesy, other times humorous. Some songs on this album are only for country fans, like "Jackson" with June Cater on vocals. Others like "Cocaine Blues" and "Folsom Prison Blues" can appeal to rock fans like me. Although I don't like "Jackson", I think it is a good country song. However, if bad language offends you, don't get this album. Also, don't play "Cocaine Blues" if a woman is in the room (especially a girlfriend). The album has a highnumber of tracks, and Cash never plays a song "weak". All songs are strong performances.

I think this is Cash's best album, next to "At San Quentin". This would probably be put in the top 10 greatest live albums with the Allman Brothers Band's Fillmore East album. I highly recommend this album for anyone who likes Rock, Country, Folk, or Rock. Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan are two of the greatest lyricists of all time. Cash even said Bob Dylan was "the greatest songwriter". Although I don't like to give out perfect 10's because they are very over-used, I think this album deserves it.

darkiii
    i started to listen to johnny cash just some months ago, after i saw in the television the song hurt, that i enjoyed much. and well, he got musics that just.. pff, just awsome musics, some with nice rythm, but other specialy with great lyrics, like a boy named sue, nobody, hurt, etc. Im too, not a fan of country music, but still, its dificult not like johnny's musics. From this album, the music i like most is the folsom prison blues, really nice.
    PUNISHER210
    johnny cash is the best singer ever. his music so cool i'v listend to him since i was a small kid