At San Quentin review by Johnny Cash

Johnny Cash: At San Quentin

Johnny Cash has probably the greatest country sound, and also a remarkable blues sound mixed in. This is a live album at San Quentin Prison, and is a terrific follow-up to the release of his critically acclaimed "At Folsom Prison" album. This was made after the death of Cash's guitarist, Luther Perkins. This is what could be the greatest country album of all time, and although it doesn't have as many tracks as "At Folsom Prison", the tracks it does have are gold country hits.

Johnny Cash's bass line is fairly simple and uncomplicated. It does tend to get repetitive. But he makes up for that with his sometimes humorous, other times bluesy lyrics. He plays San Quentin twice because the prisoners loved it so much. "Starkville City Jail is a funny song about a true story where Johnny Cash got arrested for picking flowers. The CD that I have also has "Folsom Prison Blues" with a Hendrix-ish style of soloing. "A Boy Named Sue", written by famous poet, Shel Silverstein ("Where The Sidewalk Ends", "A Light In The Attic") is a funny and good performance.

This, in my opinion, is Cash's best album. "A Boy Named Sue" is one of the biggest Country hits next to "I Walk The Line" and "Ring Of Fire". The CD that I have also contains "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Ring Of Fire", so it's a good idea to find that one instead (it's the same concert, but just more songs). The best thing about this album is that it's almost like a stand-up comedy album too, where Cash talks to the inmates like he is one. While he is tuning his guitar, an inmate yells at him and Cash says "Well you tune the son of a bitch". Although I don't like to give out perfect 10's because people use those way too much, this album deserves it.

johnstca
    What can you really say that hasn't been said about this legendary artist? This is truely a legendary performance and, together with the recordings at Folsom Prison, make for an exceptional Johnny Cash experience.