Young Does Disney 1 review by Jonathan Young

• Released: Dec 1, 2014
Jonathan Young: Young Does Disney 1

Jonathan does a great job with the vocals on this album. He has a gritty voice that is easy to like. This is apparent from the very first song - "Circle of Life" (originally, from "The Lion King"). The work on the vocals is great throughout the entire album. My personal opinion is the highlight of Young's vocals is the cover of "Frozen"'s "Let It Go," which is a lower song but he is able to really go down and hit the notes while still going to higher notes in the same song in a way that is sure to give chills. Young's wide range is nothing short of impressive.

The main instruments for this album seem to be drums and guitars. There are also keys in songs like This Is Holloween and Strangers Like Me. This contributes to the overall sound in a nice way. None of the songs feel like they are overly electronic.

My overall impression in the music aspect of the album is that it was not perfect but it was pretty close. As far as Young could, he stayed true to the feel of the Disney tune while making them fit his own style.

This is a cover album. As a result, Jonathan Young did not write any of the songs on the album. (In fact, you will be hard pressed to find one original song by Young). With that being said, Disney hired the best songwriters in the world to write their songs. You know you are getting good stuff when you cover Disney. As a result, there is no lack of good lyrics on this album.

Just because it is a cover album does not mean that the lyrics lack. Young did a good job of weeding through the songs that were not worth covering and picking the ones that would work in his style. "Go the Distance" and "Eye to Eye" are examples of this. He makes both of those very guitar driven and did not have to change the lyrics.

This album is one of the best cover albums of Disney music that I have heard (and I listen to a lot of covers of Disney music). From the beginning to the end it is a piece of true art and one that I have trouble getting tired of listening to.

If I had to pick two songs to get the title of the most impressive songs on "Young Does Disney 1" I would have to choose "Let It Go" and "You'll Be In My Heart". Both of these songs have a very different feel from the original but still seem somehow true to it. That is what I love about this entire album. Young keeps the basic of a great Disney song but changes it to match him.

YouTube preview picture

hansklaus
    The album cover exactly shows, what awaits you: A guy, who thinks, that he is really cool, doing covers of Disney Songs, which  is just annoying. Production is pure plastic and there is nothing about his voice which justifies, buying those covers of him. The Originals were far better. So this whole album is completely pointless to me. The UG Review was definitely written by some hardcore fan or somebody somehow related to him in some way. Just sucks!