Veneer review by José González

• Released: Sep 6, 2005
José González: Veneer

I picked up this album after hearing 'Heartbeats' on the Sony Bravia TV commercial, and to be honest, my initial impression was mixed. This album, in its entirety, consists of acoustic/spanish style tracks. However after very few listenings my opinions altered dramatically. Each song, although played with the same instrument, has its own unique riff and I soon grew to identify each song by its introduction. The best guitar work on the album would probably be 'Heartbeats' and 'Save Your Day'. But they're all great.

One of my favourite songs on the album, 'Heartbeats' wasn't written by Jose at all. It is a cover of a Swedish band called The Knife. But its lyrics still deserve applause. "And you, you knew the hand of the devil, and you, kept us awake with wolve's teeth, sharing different heartbeats" Pretty freakin' good, huh? Again there are many lyrical standouts on this 11 track album: Slow Moves, Heartbeats, Crosses, Hints, Save Your Day, Broken Arrows. Never have I heard a voice so suited to his songs as Jose. An excellent example would be Remain. On this song he repeats the one line, but each time the emotion of his voice changes.

I have nothing in my collection like this album, nor have I ever heard anything like it. The best songs in my opinion are Remain, Heartbeats, Crosses, Hints, Save Your Day and Broken Arrows. But a pretty good standard is maintained throughout, ie. so far I haven't found myself skipping anything. Above anything else, I love Jose's voice. And the awesome Heartbeats. This will never be stolen or lost, because I protect it too well. 'Nuff said.