Veneer review by José González

• Released: Sep 6, 2005
José González: Veneer

Like so many, I came across this gem through the Sony Bravia Advert and when I first the guitar and then the voice, I was hooked. I went and bought Veneer, and listened to it all day. The sound is just so unique, and the way he plays guitar and sings is nothing short of sublime. Simple songs which revolve around repetitive but provoking lyrics make it addictive listening. His voice is just simply perfect, complimenting his songs with sticcatp phrasing.

The lyrics are really the backbone of the whole record, with elements of Elliott Smith and Nick Drake thrown in. They are mainly about loss or some kind of forgotten redemption (Lovestain, Remain, Heartbeats, etc). But they all sound uplifting, and thats the key thing with this record. He makes sad lyrics seem memorable and somewhat happy, (Save Your Day, Crosses, All You Deliver, etc). My favourite song, Crosses, takes lonely words to a different dimension, with a really great twist of adrenaline.

This record is a great debut from such a talented man, I saw him live in Manchester, and his performance is just staggering. Ever since I have bought Veneer, I have listened to the songs endlessly. All I can say to finish is, this is one of the greatest CD's I have ever bought. Thank you Jose, for bringing an album that is so great, and I can't wait till your next.