Veneer review by José González

• Released: Sep 6, 2005
José González: Veneer

I first heard of Jose Gonzalez from a friend of mine who'd picked it up and immediateley was stunned by the incredibly unique sound and beautiful guitar work. I bought Veneer myself and was instantly hooked. It is the best 10 I ever spent and the record immediately became one of my top 3 records of all time. The sound is incredibly crisp and is even more impressive considering the album in it's entirety was recorded at his home using basic equipment. This minimalist approach to recording benefits the record giving his voice a raw and powerful undertone.

Like Joses other band Junip, the lyrics play just as important a part as the instruments. The lyrics are often repeated but on every track they are heartfelt and meaningful and compliment the music beautifully. His soft vocal style is full of emotion and he swiftly changes between emotions frequently while still keeping in perfectly with the song. Many of the lyrics are of a sad nature but are all presented in an uplifting and memorable way.

Veneer is an incredible debut album and one of my favourite records of all time. My favourite songs are Heartbeats, Hints and All You Deliver however I listen to the whole album continously and it is definitely the most played in my collection. I take this everywhere with me. Jose is a solo troubadour unlike any other acoustic artist I have heard. I would reccomend everyone to buy this album or at least head over to his website and listen to some of the tracks. As The Sun said, "In a world of musical clones, the Argentinian Swede is a thrillingly original new talent."

PapaDelicious
    I got his 2nd, In Our Nature, for Christmas definitely worth a listen if you liked this one, I might even like it better.