Eclipse review by Journey

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: May 24, 2011
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 7
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 8 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.7 (22 votes)
Journey: Eclipse
1

Sound — 8
Journey never started as the poppy, anthemic group that it's become known as. It started as a slow, droning, jazz fusion band that could have quite possibly been the precursor to current groups such as Om. With their newest release, Eclipse, they've renounced their Frontiers-era synthesizers for a heavier, harder-hitting sound. With the entry of the first track, you realize not only how big a part of the sound Steve Perry was, but you also realize how creative and powerful Journey is. Although I previously would have described Journey as pop rock, I most certainly believe that they are rock n' roll. Not for their sound, but for the attitude and power of Eclipse.

Lyrics — 7
While Journey has progressed leaps and bounds with their music and attitude, they have not moved very far with their lyrics. They are the same introspective, retrospective lyrics from all albums; certainly meaningful, but still based in the common theme of love. However, they are still incredibly artful and creative. Arnel Pineda has had an immeasurable effect on the quality and uniqueness of the lyrics. While the theme of love is still reoccurring and always there, it is adressed in ways that make it different and more interesting each time. Instead looking at the constantly turbulent relationship of one couple, you're looking at the very, very turbulent relationships of many people.

Overall Impression — 9
When listening to my iPod, Journey follows the Sex Pistols and Loaded. Listening to the start of the Taking, through Never Mind the Bollocks, all the ways to the last track of Eclipse, it is smooth flowing, and compatible. There is nothing on this album that I dislike; if it was stolen, I'd get it again, and a backup copy. The most impressive element, though, is Neal Schon's unique and unmatchable guitar playing. It is like listening to Randy Rhoads, B. B. King, and Slash all at once. Beautiful, stunning, and an amazing comeback in the face of a changing musical tide.

13 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Tarsplitter
    You say that "there is nothing on this album I dislike". And then proceed to give the album 8 rating. I fail to see the logic... Anyway, great album. Definitely Journey's best.
    krvolok
    ^ The rating should always be based on the overall quality of an album,not whether the reviewer likes that much or not.And we have all seen a string of ten-ten-teners on this site of which most don't deserve anything above 5(with 1 being bad,5 average and 10 spectacularly awesome).
    Loki_37
    krvolok wrote: ^ The rating should always be based on the overall quality of an album,not whether the reviewer likes that much or not.And we have all seen a string of ten-ten-teners on this site of which most don't deserve anything above 5(with 1 being bad,5 average and 10 spectacularly awesome).
    Thank you. Anyways, Journey's still around!? Wow, I'm going to have to check this out. Had no idea. Good revew, liked the scores.
    DragonessRocks
    Eclipse is a work of pure genius! It's like Journey on steroids! There's no track i skip (and i'm a picky customer!) because each song is AMAZING! I do have good ears for good music, appreciate good lyrics and i practically grew up listening to Journey. IMO Eclipse has to be the most addictive album of Journey ever!
    mrrman
    cant wait to get this....I heard the Steve perry wanted to come back to the band and they said no..
    Tarsplitter
    krvolok wrote: ^ The rating should always be based on the overall quality of an album,not whether the reviewer likes that much or not.And we have all seen a string of ten-ten-teners on this site of which most don't deserve anything above 5(with 1 being bad,5 average and 10 spectacularly awesome).
    What do you mean with "overall quality"? I thought music was subjective. A review is always based on that individual's opinion of the given subject.
    krvolok
    Tarsplitter wrote: .What do you mean with "overall quality"? I thought music was subjective. A review is always based on that individual's opinion of the given subject.
    No kidding.Gods below,man,that's common logic,however giving out perfect tens needs to be justified by something more than just a flight of fancy.Again refer to the 1-10 rating system.
    EpiExplorer
    Tarsplitter wrote: krvolok wrote: ^ The rating should always be based on the overall quality of an album,not whether the reviewer likes that much or not.And we have all seen a string of ten-ten-teners on this site of which most don't deserve anything above 5(with 1 being bad,5 average and 10 spectacularly awesome). What do you mean with "overall quality"? I thought music was subjective. A review is always based on that individual's opinion of the given subject.
    Reviewers need to be neutral in their reviews. I'm perhaps not the best example of this, but its misleading to judge it solely on what you feel. Its about what other people might feel as well, having someone gab off about how much they love this or that without a balanced view is nothing more than a blog.
    GNRfan32
    Loki_37 wrote: krvolok wrote: ^ The rating should always be based on the overall quality of an album,not whether the reviewer likes that much or not.And we have all seen a string of ten-ten-teners on this site of which most don't deserve anything above 5(with 1 being bad,5 average and 10 spectacularly awesome). Thank you. Anyways, Journey's still around!? Wow, I'm going to have to check this out. Had no idea. Good revew, liked the scores.
    There still around but steve perry isn't with them any more, just in case you didn't already know
    kevinrocker
    mrrman wrote: cant wait to get this....I heard the Steve perry wanted to come back to the band and they said no..
    Steve Perry did not ask to come back. The band burned him out too bad for him to want to return. The Eclipse album is all about Neil, and Neil, and Neil.... He really didn't care what the rest of the band wanted. He wanted to feed his ego by blasting his guitar - and that he did. So much so that those at the recent shows say you can hardly hear the vocals...it's all about Neil's guitar playing. I'm sure a few guitar fanatics will like this, however, many fans won't appreciate the new album. Too ego-driven. And monotonous. And lacking in the lyrical genius & magic of years gone by. A new direction, for sure.