Escape Review

Journey: Escape
Release Date: Aug 1981
Label: Columbia
Genres: Hard Rock, Soft Rock, Pop/Rock
The songs on Escape are more rock-flavored, with more hooks and a harder cadence compared to their former sound.
 8.8
 7.7
 9.9
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Escape Reviewed by: JimMRocks, on june 16, 2008

Sound: Just like with AC/DC, or Led Zeppelin, everyone has their favorite Journey song. There's no doubting the greatness in this album. They're not exactly my style, but this album is one of my favorites for sure. The sound of the songs can be a bit mushy, but guitarist Neal Schon (Former Santana guitarist), tunes it up a bit with some amazing riffs, while Steve Perry's timeless voice sets the mood for any occasion, whether your at a party, or just relaxin' after a long day, this album is the perfect choice. // 8

Lyrics: As I said before, a bit mushy for me. If not for Perry's voice behind the lyrics, I don't think the songs would be as interesting as they are. Perry is very skilled as a singer, but the lyrics are just to soft for me personally. I was stuck listening to them as a kid because of my mom. My dad was heavy metal, my mom was Journey, Def Leppard, and all sorts of other crap. // 6

Overall Impression: Many people, (mainly woman), can tell you there favorite band is Journey. They just love the heartfelt anthems like such standout tracks "Don't Stop Believin'", "Stone In Love", "Who's Cryin' Now", and "Open Arms". If this was stolen or lost, I might invest in something else, journey just ain't my style. // 9

Comments