Greatest Hits review by Journey

• Released: Aug 1, 2006
Journey: Greatest Hits

Journey's Greatest Hits album pulls a lot of brilliant songs from brilliant albums into it, like Open Arms from Escape, Lights from Infinity, Faithfully from Frontiers and Any Way You Want It from Departure. The album has a very interesting theme; it doesn't have the songs levelled out like in other albums, where they put the softer songs at the start and slowly work their way up to the heavier songs near the end, but has an exciting song at the start (Only the Young) to get you interested, then lets you into the slightly worse songs (in my view) like Wheel In The Sky and Don't Stop Believin' (don't hurt me) after that, eventually letting you into the song that would normally be at the start, Faithfully and so on. Journey as a band are basically the saviours of rock (Bon Jovi don't count:p) and deserve a lot more publicity than they get. They are an excellent band altogether and I would highly recommend this, a compilation of some of the greatest rock songs in the world.

The lyrics in the songs in this album are extremely deep. For this I will give as an example Only the Young. There is a snippet of this song on my profile, for anyone who didn't know. I use it as part of my philosophy in life. All of the lyrics fit together perfectly with both each other and the sound of the music, with a few hidden meanings thrown in as well. The singer, which in quite a few cases is Steve Perry(I love you!), uses dynamics to his advantage frequently and has a unique form of vibrato he uses for conveying the message of a particularly sorrowful note or phrase. Again, I give this area a very high score.

I can name only a handful of albums that are better than this one, and none in this genre. These I will not mention here as it would be a disgrace to Journey's reputation and unsportsmanlike... or something. Anyway, there are no really bad things about this album and I would definitely recommend it to a friend. As to buying it again if it got damaged, most definitely. :) Hope this helps!