Greatest Hits Review

Journey: Greatest Hits
Release Date: Aug 1, 2006
Label: Sony
Genres: Soft Rock, Pop/Rock, Hard Rock, Arena Rock, Album Rock
The Greatest Hits album by Journey is a must if you ever decide to educate yourself in classic rock as every track has become classic over years.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 8.5
 9.3
 7.6
Greatest Hits Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 29, 2006

Sound: Re-issued Greatest Hits don't appear by chance. That's something that sooner or later happens to every famous band -- they get popular, spilt up, spend about 20 years busy with solo projects or just being quiet (being cynical I should say it depends on the amount of money they managed to earn on the peak of their fame and the ambitions), get together for a reunion tour (again, being cynical -- when they are out of the ideas about the alternative ways of earning money). Now we got to a point -- to promote the tour, the band needs either a new album (which is a pain in the ass for people who didn't talk for 20 years) or at least some kind of Greatest Hits. Even if they already had a Greatest Hits album and not a single new song after that, it's not a problem -- they can always re-master and re-issue it. That's exactly what happened to the '80s rock band The Journey -- to support their 2006 tour, they put out a re-mastered Greatest Hits album, out in August on Columbia/Legacy. The Journey's got enough hits to make Greatest Hits Vol. 2 album, but instead they decided to re-issue the old one -- maybe because of the fact it has sold 14 million copies worldwide and became an all-time top seller. Just like its 1988 twin, Greatest Hits 2006 is a collection of soulful songs with tear-shedding lyrics. The difference is in the bonus track -- 1996 Grammy nominated When You Love A Woman and never-before-seen pictures in the CD booklet. The CD shows the band on the peak of their career, taking the time period from late '70s to mid-'80s. The songs are based on catchy melodic tunes The Journey were famous for -- like Who's Crying Now or Any Way You Want It. Without any doubt no Greatest Hits CD of a good rock band could leave power ballads aside. If you think nowdays rock is too mellow for something real, here you've got the best from the band that actually made the genre of rock ballads famous. Faithfully, their most successful Open Arms, and Send Her My Love is enough to get any rock fan excited and bring you the atmosphere of the past century. As the band was led by vocalist Steve Perry and guitarist Neal Schon, their presence in songs is the most evident. Not to mention all of the tracks are guitar-driven. You get a fine cut of classic guitar rock school by Schon with melodic solos and stellar riffs. // 8

Lyrics: That was the era of new hopes, young and powerful generation, seemingly bright future and the will to change the world. The poetry is very romantic without even a note of pragmatism. Some words are worth to be read as a poem, some along with choral back vocals are ridiculously primitive. Of course, there's so popular in the '80s Steve Perry's soaring voice, being imitated by almost every rock band. His vocal abilities are something most modern rock vocalists would die for. Apart from the gift of screaming as if somebody's pinched his balls, he's got so much sincerity in the voice that you believe every single word -- including something tacky like Workin' hard to get my fill/Everybody wants a thrill and Some will win, some will lose/Some were born to sing the blues. No wonder a lot of singers have unsuccessfully tried to replace him! // 9

Overall Impression: If you missed '80s, here you've got enough of them -- 16 pages of photos with up-to-your waist, incredibly tight pants, woman-like looking guys plus 65 minutes of at the top of the lungs vocals and guitar exercises. The album is a must if you ever decide to educate yourself in classic rock as every track has become classic over years. The re-mastering of the album is a good reason for old fans to buy it and a way to create some buzz around the band. That may as well attract some new people. But I believe the charm of old rock bands is particularly in their sound -- that old scratched vinyl hissing in between tracks. All of those re-mastering and attempts to make the old sound new and crispy remind me of an old woman that put tons of make up just to hide her age, which only makes her look silly. // 8

- Kosh (c) 2006

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: robrocker, on november 30, 2006

Sound: Sound was great. All notes were brought out with great preduction. Could hear evry sound. Normal toning, old stly rock with hard core songs next to soft songs so even song blance. The sound came out matching the song perfictly it has never slipped or froze on me and I have the CD for 3 years. I would love to just go into a cave somewhere and play the songs with the great sound and hear it echo off the wall intel I have heard the perefict song. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were great. They ketp on playing in my head a month after I bought the CD. The singeer skills are remarkable with great prensocation. The lyrics and music match perfictly. If you don`t like any lyrics then you have no taste each song has something for everbody and ever song well make you remember it for weeks. I loved the lyrics to anyway you want it because you just listen to a really soft song (if your going in order). Then it just starts out rocking so hard it blow a ears away with an explossion of music and words that mixed so well into my brain and my rocking soul. Other lyrics well match with the song so well that you don`t even realise that there are words being said untel you hear the song another time. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD blows away all others. I hated othing about it. All the best songs are on there with great sound perduction and music performins. The 3 top songs from the album in my greatest taste are Don`t Stop Beliveing, Anyway You Want It, and Whell In The Sky. I loved Journey`s ablums sence they started coming out and when this CD came out I had to have it, and if I ever lost it I would 100% without a doubt buy a new one. It`s the greatest band and their greatest songs. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: My other leaf, on march 19, 2010

Sound: Journey's Greatest Hits album pulls a lot of brilliant songs from brilliant albums into it, like Open Arms from Escape, Lights from Infinity, Faithfully from Frontiers and Any Way You Want It from Departure. The album has a very interesting theme; it doesn't have the songs levelled out like in other albums, where they put the softer songs at the start and slowly work their way up to the heavier songs near the end, but has an exciting song at the start (Only the Young) to get you interested, then lets you into the slightly worse songs (in my view) like Wheel In The Sky and Don't Stop Believin' (don't hurt me) after that, eventually letting you into the song that would normally be at the start, Faithfully and so on. Journey as a band are basically the saviours of rock (Bon Jovi don't count:p) and deserve a lot more publicity than they get. They are an excellent band altogether and I would highly recommend this, a compilation of some of the greatest rock songs in the world. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in the songs in this album are extremely deep. For this I will give as an example Only the Young. There is a snippet of this song on my profile, for anyone who didn't know. I use it as part of my philosophy in life. All of the lyrics fit together perfectly with both each other and the sound of the music, with a few hidden meanings thrown in as well. The singer, which in quite a few cases is Steve Perry(I love you!), uses dynamics to his advantage frequently and has a unique form of vibrato he uses for conveying the message of a particularly sorrowful note or phrase. Again, I give this area a very high score. // 10

Overall Impression: I can name only a handful of albums that are better than this one, and none in this genre. These I will not mention here as it would be a disgrace to Journey's reputation and unsportsmanlike... or something. Anyway, there are no really bad things about this album and I would definitely recommend it to a friend. As to buying it again if it got damaged, most definitely. :) Hope this helps! // 10

Comments