Un Dia Normal review by Juanes

• Released: May 21, 2002
Juanes: Un Dia Normal

When I was going through the reviews of this guitar page, I saw that some people submitted reviews of albums such as the Black Eyed Peas and Eminem (which I can respect both), I got interested to see how a spanish "rock" artist like Juanes would do in an English rock page. Juanes is a singer that has accomplished a huge success in what is the Latin American music industry especially after realeasing his secone album Un Da Normal which is Spanish for "A Normal Day". He has a really good sound something that Red Hot Chili Peppers fans could enjoy. It has a soft and smooth sound to the ear.

Juanes can sing. He also manages to produce really impressive lyrics in the process. Most songs are about love. These is what you pay for when you buy the album: 01. A Dios Le Pido - which is Spanish for "I Ask God". It is an energic and appropiate opener and the single that he first used to promote this album. It has good lyrics specially the chorus. 5 out of 5. 02. Es Por Ti - translated as "It's Because Of You". A very melodic and adecuate follower. Overall good. 4.5 out of 5. 03. Un Da Normal - you already know what the title of this one means. Excellent song. A song that really convinced that I really got what I paid for this CD. 5 out of 5. 04. La Paga - spanish for "The Payback". A rather catchy and almost anthemic song. Really funny if you know spanish. 5 out of 5. 05. La Unica - "The Only One" in Spanish. Good song. He dedicated this one to his mother.Really good lyrics. Juanes really knows how to make a chorus that would stick in your mind. 4.5 out of 5. 06. Luna - "Moon". He dedicated that "to the light that shall come soon". Maybe to his baby girl. Average.A fitting filler. Nothing special to me. 3 out of 5. 07. Un Dia Lejano - "A Day Far Away". A very good song. Really deep lyrics. It's about how much love gets stronger as the distance gets longer. 4 out of 5. 08. Mala Gente - "Bad Person". This one starts with a rather catchy riff. Really good another single that he wisely used to promote this great album.I can really Identify with this song somehow. Real good. 5 out of 5. 09. Fotografia - "Photography". In my list, the best song in the whole CD.And a ton of other people would agree with me. Really impressive lyrics. This one has a duo with Nelly Furtado, who I really don't listen to but this song showed me she can really sing. Excellent. 6 out of 5. 10. Desde Que Despierto - "Ever Since I Wake Up". An average song. Good but there is best in the album. 3 out of 5. 11. La Historia De Juan - "The Story Of Juan". Quite possibly the most meaningful lyrics in the whole album. Good sound backed by great lyrics. 12. La Noche - "The Night". This is the only song Juanes did not write himself. Decent finisher. Really deserving for uch a great album.

This is one of the few albums of my collection that I would buy again if it was lost or stoled. The best songs are #1, #3, #9, #8 and #4. #11 also stands out of the crowd. I have nothing bad to say about this album or Juanes. Maybe you didn't notice but. This album is 100% in spanish so you won't understand anything he is singing (that is not a problem because I'm Dominican and totally fluent in spanish). So don't buy this album if you expect some English in it. But if you are open to several kinds of music like me (I listen music in Japanese especially from Anime Series like Rurouni Kenshin) give it a try and you may be surprised. I totally got the 14.00 dollars I payed for it.

ryoga
    I love juanes's guitar playing. I'm surprised not that many people have acknowledged his excellent styling. It is probably because he sings in spanish, too bad. I wish there were more juanes tabs. Maybe I'll make some myself, when I have time. Serisouly he can play, and anything. I think his PPS(potential picking speed) is around 16th notes above 200bpm, he can shred too!!.