Defenders Of The Faith review by Judas Priest

• Released: Jan 4, 1984
Judas Priest: Defenders Of The Faith

This is by far and away my favorite Priest album of all time. This was the peak of their musical success and arguably their ability to produce "complete" metal albums. It carries many of the same musical structures that met them with success on the Screaming For Vengeance album, but this is where they perfected it, and it shows. KK Downing and Glenn Tipton shine as usual on this jem, as well as the sublte innovations of Ian Hill and Dave Holland. If you're looking for a first time metal album then this is perfect. This is definately Judas Priest at their best, and possibly one of the most underrated metal albums of the '80s.

Lyrically, Defenders is what you would expect of an '80s power metal album, but to the next level if you will. Rob Halford's lyricall writing ability spews from every song like hellish poetry. Overall the lyrics are top notch and fit perfectly with the musical proportions of the entire album. Rob Halford's vocals are what really shine here though. The high pitched, harmonic screams that he reaches in nearly every song is enough to send shivers down your spine. This is where Rob Halford was arguably at the peak of his singing ability, or at least his effort to make it so.

Defenders of the Faith is, in my opinion, one of the best metal albums of all time, and inarguably the best Judas Priest album. There are so many hot chops on this album that it's impossible to choose a favorite. However, the most impressive songs are The Sentinel, Jawbreaker, and Love Bites. All three of these songs are fast, dark, and engrossing in their musical perfection. There are many other memorable songs like the highway track Rock Hard Ride Free, or the empowering Night Comes Down and title tracks. The songs Eat Me Alive and Some Heads Are Gonna Role are a bit lackluster compared to the rest, but still very well done. Overall, this album rules! It is one of my favorite metal albums and a must have for all metal and rock fans.

TheAmenCorner89
    Everything about this album is amazing, in my top 3 Priest albums (along with Stained Class and Painkiller)...hell every Priest album is awesome, even Turbo and Ram it Down. Every metalhead has to know this piece of art by heart
    gorczynskir1
    its amazing that this is such a great priest album with tracks like the sentinel and jawbreaker and such and its gotton lost in time its a shame
    HELL BENT FOR J
    The Defenders Of The Faith is one of the best album ever. But it is not a power metal album.Only the "Eat Me Alive" is power metal song.
    donedeal28
    My life changed when I heard the Some Heads solo... Great album. Always my go-to Priest CD.