Nostradamus review by Judas Priest

• Released: Jun 17, 2008
Judas Priest: Nostradamus

Judas Priest took 2 years to craft this CD. When a band of their stature takes this long to make a CD, one expects a certain level of quality. Nostradamus, for the most part, delivers. Nostradamus is a concept album, sprawling over 2 discs, and just under 2 hours long. The band, has once again reinvented themselves, slowing things down a bit and adding synths and orchestrated parts. In the interest of keeping this review down, I will skip the rest of the story, and music. If you liked songs like Lochness, Nightcrawler or Beyond the Realms of Death, then you will love this CD.

Rob Halford, what can I say? Even as he approached 60, his vocal skills are still daunting, mesmerizing, even positively scary at times. Tracks such as Death really push his vocal ability to the limit. This time round, he drops his trademark wail-scream for more dramatic, deeper repertoire, but his scream does come up, and it's relatively intact. The lyrics are typical for a late era Judas Priest release, basically they are corny, cheesy or whatever term you prefer. But the lyrics do tell the story of the life of Nostradamus.

Nostradamus is a departure from their previous speed-metal style, their commercial metal arena sound, and it's a direction hinted at in Angel of Retribution. CD highlights, for me, include: Prophecy, Death, and the truly menacing Alone. CD lowlights include: conquest and the tragic pestilence and plague. If this CD were lost I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again, no matter how much filler other people say there is.

strat07
    It's an awesome album! I love the new Judas Priest more now! Now they've made more mature music than just those lightning fast crushing riffs and solos! Yeah, i loved Lochness and Nightcrawel, now i love the new album! Try it all, dont be to sceptical!
    kaihansen
    Glam-Hammer wrote: His vocals were awful live @ Download festival.
    Haha! It sounded great at Sweden Rock Festival! Front row!!
    BlackSymphony6
    this album is fat, bloated and crap losing half the songs would have made it twice as good. A half-assed attempt at symphonic metal
    Diamond Dave
    Reviewer Pete wrote: A turd of epic proportions.
    its actually really good if you take the time to listen to it properly.
    Armagedn
    I've never been able to listen to a full Priest album. I like their music, but a lot of their songs just don't catch on like they should, and you start ignoring it before you even realize it. Not to say that they don't have any good songs. I particularly like Judas Rising.
    bgdamore
    In my opinion, is a good album. In a nutshell: if you like, you buy it, if you doesn't like, you don't.
    Akyrun
    pootoob
    Akyrun wrote: This isn tere sick fast riffs no but holy crap have you listened to the guitar work... It is amazazing! And Nostradamus is a concept album and since when has a concept album been so great that it is better than all of their other work? Nostradamus Owns!
    What about Seventh Son? that's Iron Maiden's best cd. Sergeant Peppers' is the Beatles' best album also. But Nostradamus is a good cd. I think that's an excellent review that someone posted. I like their style.
    Reviewer Pete
    Diamond Dave wrote: Reviewer Pete wrote: A turd of epic proportions. its actually really good if you take the time to listen to it properly.
    It most definitely is not. Inexcusably poor album.
    thunderstruck56
    buy the album in stores! It might be mediocre, but you get a free ticket to see them on the metal masters tour inside of it if you buy at best buy!
    guitaringsailor
    Damn me i spend to much money on whiskey... cqan't afford this album until next month.. but I WILL definatly buy it
    axeslinger0u812
    0h The Horror wrote: Stop writing mixed comments. It's too damn expensive to buy and regret. Or is it...?
    it's on sale at hot topic for $11.99,the last i saw. unless you want that weird book packaging... i didn't think the cd was terrible. definitely some good musicianship going on. and goddamn that guy can sing.
    xHellbound
    ibanezonfire16
    I love this cd... Don't really understand alot of the negative criticism... You can't expect a concept album to sound like the old stuff or even the Painkiller material. I can't get enough of this cd... I'm glad the branched out and decided to try something totally different than the past stuff.
    Diamond Dave
    xHellbound wrote: Besides some of the shredding, nothing really stands out. But it's awesome to listen to in succession.
    agreed, there arent many songs i'd pick out and play on their own but i love letting the whole thing play through, sounds great
    -Collapse-
    What's the difference between the standard and the deluxe edition? I'm going out to buy it tomorrow, and I don't know which to get. I would have bought it sooner, but I only just got my latest workers comp check, they're slow bastards.
    masterometal666
    It's experimental for Judas, no doubt. The best way to listen to this album is to know this going in to it, don't expect another Painkiller. You'll be highly dissapointed if you do. It may not be what we're used to, but it's still good stuff. If it wasn't branded with priest's name on it, I'm quite certain none of you would be complaining.
    tim western
    Glam-Hammer wrote: His vocals were awful live @ Download festival.
    Seconded. It made me cringe how ridiculous he sounded.
    Diamond Dave
    Sendrith wrote: His voice is also pretty bad in some of the videos of Live East or whatever it was DVD live in tokyo or something that I've seen on youtube. Sorry for being stupid, I can't write much, really right atm.
    yeah, nowdays live, halford cant hit everything perfectly but IMO his performance on the rising in the east dvd (2005?) absolutely slaughtered bruce dickinsons singing on Death on the Road. I dont want to kick up a priest vs maiden argument because i love them both but the fact of the matter is, all the guys from these awesome bands are starting to get old. and the other fact is, even if they cant sing perfectly throughout a 2 hour concert, they can still nail 99% of an album singing in the studio. I think this album kicks a lot of arse, i dont like all of it but since when is every song on an album top notch? (even painkiller had a bad track :p)
    TapparMust
    BlisteringDDj
    I'm excited over this album, but my expectiations aren't too high. Looking forward to give it a listen!
    hones
    TapparMust wrote: Its almost too much on this record, its hard to get some tracks but there are some nice pieces like the song Nostradamus, Future of Mankind and Persecution
    Honestly, I much preferred Angel of Retribution and Painkiller.
    the_heretic
    Have to say, Priest definately doesn't repeat themselves with this release, although it doesn't fall into my liking as much as Angel of Retribution did a couple of years ago. Like said, a couple of decent tracks do exist, however my all-in-all impression is that it's not that great of an album...
    TapparMust
    Sendrith, i agree with you this isnt some of their best works. the above song I mentioned is the only "listenable" the rest is crap. Its hard album and not so much Judas Priest.
    stompbox
    this new judas priest cd is one of those cd that the more you play it the more you like ,so dont be so hard on it so fast . i have had many cd's like that it dose grow on you .
    MAKETHEMSUFFER!
    Sendrith wrote: I don't have it yet, but I have personally been disappointed by what I've heard thus far. First?
    same here. angel of retribution destroys this.
    JPetrucci25
    Sendrith wrote: I don't have it yet, but I have personally been disappointed by what I've heard thus far. yeah same here. i got the two singles expecting them to be cool. i didnt like them at all. painkiller is their best album and this doesnt even compare First?
    shadowsoverhell
    I personally love this album. Nostradamus and Death are definite favorites, but there are others that are really good as well. I think they really did a great job of telling the story through the music, and i find this album is best enjoyed when listened all the way through continuously. Plus the artwork is freakin sweet!
    zapatista89
    from what ive heard of the album im really impressed i saw prophecy at download and it was one of the highlights of the festival
    Fi-Fi
    rattlehead924
    Fi-Fi wrote: It's the conceptual thing i think you guys don't like. It's all somehow in one mood and connected by instrumental tracks. I really liked some songs and others not. I prefer when concept albums don't contain the instrumental parts. Funny thing though this album instantly reminds me of iced earths' 'framing armegddon'. Ironicly IE was inspired by JP. But i'm sure this time it was the other way.
    ironicly ripper owens sang for both bands
    MegaMaidenMan
    yeah, i agree with shadowsoverhell, this is an amazing album, the songs are all amazing, halfords vocals are amazing, the guitar harmonization of KK and Glen are amazing, and the fact that most of the album is orchestrated really shows their musical genious, great album, one of my favourites of 2008
    Set-Abominae
    I'm definitely interested. I've been a Priest fan for quite a long time. I'll pick it up, hopefully it will deliver.