Painkiller review by Judas Priest

• Released: Sep 3, 1990
Judas Priest: Painkiller

Every true metal fan needs to own this album! Judas Priest is one of the kings of new wave of british heavy metal and 'Painkiller' is a great example. Their sound is the real metal sound, classic but extremely heavy at the same time. The two guitarists, K. K. Downing and Glenn Tipton, are the finest and in my opinion two of the many underrated guitarists in the world. I like how they sometimes switch on playing the lead part in some songs, while on some others its just Glenn doing the leads or something. Real cool. I loved the fast drum intro to the title track, "Painkiller". There were some cool keyboard sounds in epics such as "A Touch Of Evil" and "Living Bad Dreams". "Living Bad Dreams" is a bonus track in the remastered versions of their first 12 albums (I think it was 12), along with a live recording of "Leather Rebel". The bass wasn't too noticeable, but it shouldn't be disliked either. There was a 1-minute instrumental called "Battle Hymn", which was not at all a big deal, but it seemed to act as an intro to the track after, "One Shot At Glory", which was also good.

One of the best singers ever to walk the face of the planet in my opinion is Judas Priest's Rob Halford! He proves to have a wide range of singing tone from somewhat low to extremely freakin' high! And it didn't sound that gay the way Halford does it either. (Ironically, Halford is a genuine homo...) I love the lyrics. "Painkiller" is real cool because its about a half-man/half machine 'painkiller' guy who rides his motorcycle called the Metal Monster and comes out of the sky when the world came in peril and saves humanity. A lot of sci-fi like elements in a lot of the songs, and a others depict dark fantasy, which is real inspirational and novel-like. The singing is best when highly sung, and the lyrics fit well with that singing and the music. I liked "Painkiller" so much I wanna cover it in a band, even though I only bought this album hours before posting this review.

This is a personal icon of true metal music! Best songs are "Painkiller", "Metal Meltdown", "Night Crawler", "A Touch Of Evil", and bonus track "Living Bad Dreams", which the guys from Priest said in the booklet that they didn't know why they didn't include the song in the album the first time, and that it could have been a classic then but Priest won't get any argument from me! That song rocked! Brilliant power in the sound and singing, definately! Get it now! Or face the wrath of the Painkiller!

judas927
    Dude dont even get me started I love JUDAS PREIST!! this is heavy metal rite here painkiller, metal meltdown, a touch of evil there all just so great. And the painkiller solo is amazing~!!!!
    SethMegadefan
    Painkiller's easily one of the greatest metal songs ever created... such an incredible piece of music. Lyrics are captivating, vocals are ridiculous, guitar work is astounding, and the drum work is equally as technically awesome. Not my favorite Prist album overall, but Painkiller's one of my favorite songs by them. Freaking... amazing.
    JackWhite1988
    shredder_666
    JackWhite1988 : When I think of Metal, I think of Painkiller. After Turbo and Ram it Down, this was fair enough apology atleast in my eyes. you cant insult those albums. Ram it down was ****ing amazing. I can see how one wouldnt like Turbo, but it isnt a bad record.