Priest...Live! review by Judas Priest

• Released: Jun 21, 1987
Judas Priest: Priest...Live!

To begin with this album, I will say that this album sounds alot more live than Unleashed in the East did. "Unleashed" did kinda sound like the audiance was added, but on this album, every time I listen to it, I really feel like I'm in the audiance. And the crowd participates alot by singing the chorus of alot of the popular songs on the album. The drums and bass have their own deal on Judas priest albums: they're there, but their not the highlight. The guitars and vocals are really what make this album great. The guitars have both the heaviness of thrash metal at that time, while still having that kinda of glam metal feel that was at it's peak at the time. (The album was recorded sometime on their Fuel for Life Tour in 1986)

The solo's are wicked and have the moments where the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Now the vocals are what really make this album. I consider Rob Halford to have been at his peak at this time. This peak would end around after the Painkiller album. And with alot of the songs, before they start them, he'll say something about the song that kinda shows you some humor, such as before they start Turbo lover, he adds the line "Now its time for the somethin' somethin' that'll make you hard! The title track from the Turbo Album! Lets go with a Turbo.....LOVER!" The way he says "lover" is, the best way to describe it, a kind of kinky high pitch. But the sound really is good on here. But the only thing I think is that the bass could have been a little louder because I can barely here it on this album.

So, this is a live album, and it has no new songs. But I actually think that that is a good thing. The track list:

01. Out in the cold
03. Turbo lover
04. Freewheel burning
05. Private property
06. Living after midnight
07. You've got another thing comin'
Bonus live tracks:
08. Screaming for Vengance (Recorded in 1982)
09. Rock hard, Ride free (Recorded in 1984)
10. Hell bent for leather (same concert as the rest of the album)

This is really one of my favorite live albums. This is almost the perfect priest concert, missing some of the earlier stuff, but it's still great.

Out of the other live albums I prefer this one overall. For some reason it didn't get as much fame as Unleashed in the East did, but I think it is 10 times better than Unleashed in the East. The best songs on here, in my opinion, are:

01. The Sentinal
02. Private Property
03. Electric eye
04. Rock you all around the World
05. Breaking the law

What I really love about this album is the live feel you get from it. I actually feel like I'm in the front row watching this concert. There's nothing to hate or dislike about this album, besides the bass problem. Though, this album is really for priest fans. It may grab the attention of new fans, but they have to remember that this is when priest was kinda making mainstream music. The Turbo album was hugely mainstream and alot of the songs sound like they were written for the radio. But overall, its great.

Peter.sze
    You're right. It's one of the best live cd's ever. I have a Tape of it and it made me start listen to priest.
    Diamond Dave
    Powerageman
    Diamond Dave wrote: I think this is the same recording as the Electric Eye DVD which I have and its fantastic.
    Some of it is. Most of the album is from another date, but like 3 or 4 tracks comes from the Dallas show (where the electric eye DVD was recorded).
    Dogsy
    I have never been a huge Priest fan, but I got hold of this the other day and I have to agree, it's one of the best live albums I've ever heard....you can't help but get into it. The production is awesome and the performance is way more polished than Unleashed in the East. I think Free wheel burning is a stand out, there is a dive bomb that either K.K or Glen does during a little fill that just screams, anyway, from not a massive Priest fan, I give it 10/10.
    p_c
    The Electric Eye DVD is stunning. That huge 80s arena rock vibe is soooo awesome