Priest...Live! review by Judas Priest

• Released: Jun 21, 1987
Judas Priest: Priest...Live!

In 1986, Judas Priest was going for a more commercial style, their new music was more synth oriented (as you can hear on "Turbo") and many fans were alienated. Recorded on their Fuel For Life Tour supporting "Turbo", "Priest...Live!" captures the band at their commercial height, with screaming vocals and lightning fast guitars. Actually, that's the main reason this album sounds so good. In my opinion, Rob Halford, Glen Tipton and KK Downing never sounded this great before. While the main difference between a live album and a studio one is the addition of the crowd, another reason to buy this album is the special way the band plays their songs live. Priest have always added something new to their live performances. Whether it's Rob's voice or Glen and KK's new take on the solos and tracks, the outcome is brilliant. This tour was no exception. Some songs are faster than their studio version (like "Breaking The Law") while others are longer. It's also nice to hear the in-between-songs dialogue with the crowd and the song introductions. On the re-release version, 3 track were added, also live, but I think only "Hell Bent For Leather" was from the same tour. The other two songs are "Rock Hard, Ride Free" and "Screaming For Vengeance".

No new songs appear on this album so the lyrics are the same as before. Rob Halford was at the Himalaya of his vocal range. He sang all of the songs perfectly and added new screaming bits which, as a listener, I can only enjoy. The setlist (15 tracks) borrows 5 songs from the "Turbo" album and the rest are classic Judas Priest songs.

I like this album more than "Unleashed In The East". It's more "live" and sounds better. Some really great songs are "The Sentinel", "Breaking The Law" and "Freewheel Burning". I'm really disappointed they didn't release more live albums. A live recording of a Defenders Of The Faith, Ram It Down or Painkiller Tour concert would have been pure gold for the fans. If I would lose this album I would definitely buy another copy.