Unleashed In The East review by Judas Priest

Judas Priest: Unleashed In The East

This is Judas Priest's very first live album. Now, alot of people would go on to claim that the album was recorded in the studio and the sound of the crowd was just put over it. The sound of the crowd, honestly does sound recorded, but the sound of the band sounds live.

The guitars are more raw than heavy on this album. The dual guitar parts will just make your ears ring, or if you have it turned up really high, bleed. You can hear the bass every now and then, but it, as usual, takes a backseat to the guitars. The drums, in my opinion are a little weird. The snare sounds like it's a sandbag sometimes. And all of the other ones just sound numbed out.

This is a live album, so there are no new songs on this album. Alot of them come off of the "Sad wings of destiny" album. And one or 2 from all of the other albums at that time. Rob Halford's vocals are amazing on this album. But that doesn't mean it has its low points. The first time I listened to it I thought "what happened to his voice!?!" But you get used to it and realize it's not that bad. Then after listening to it more, it actually gets very good. His voice on this album is something that usually is gonna have to grow on you. But, it is very good. The highlight of the vocals on this album are on Victim of Changes, when Rob screams out the title of the song. Everytime i hear it, the neck on the back of my hair stands up. It's crazy good!

This is probably one of heavy metal's first great live albums. This would be Iron Maiden's "Live after Death". Deep Purple's 'Made in Japan'. KISS's 'ALIVE!'. I think the comparisons say it all. The most impressive tracks are:

01. Victim of Changes
02. The Ripper
03. Sinner

I love the songs that ended up on this album. Great selection. I dislike how the crowd sounds. It does actually sound like it was recorded. Just that feel of it. Overall, Judas Priest's Unleashed in the East is a very memorable album, and I believe every heavy metal fan should own a copy of this album!

monteman3829
    I agree, it does sound like the audience is recorded, but the raw sound and Halford makes this album 1 of the best metal Live recordings.
    Randomrings
    FearOfTheDuck wrote: It has a lot of overdubs, but what great live album doesn't
    Most of G3 1996. but that's about it, and i'm probably wrong so you win
    Abhorred One
    His voice on this album is something that usually is gonna have to grow on you.
    Lies, filthy lies.