C.O.T.U. review by Julyo

• Released: Sep 30, 2012
  • Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Julyo: C.O.T.U.

Starting with the mystical "C.O.T.U." ("Corner Of The Universe"), the album is filled with soulful riffing placed on top of fluid synth lines (also played by Julyo) climaxing with blistering solos and thunderous percussion grooves. "Bay Of Dreams" involves acoustic guitars melodies that reminds me a lot the Joe Satriani of "The Extremist" and "Flying In A Blue Dream". In my opinion "Corner Of The Universe" is Julyo's best CD until now. The beautiful blend of melodies, folk music harmonies and rock/pop production make this record a hidden gem. As far as I know Julyo lives and performs in Ireland, he has toured and recorded with lots of pop artists in US and is currently performing live with few bands. I have found on internet that during 2006 Julyo invented an instrument called 'photosonic guitar', something related to what color and sound frequencies share in common.

Instrumental record.

Julyo is a great composer and performer. I don't know why he has never really 'broken-trough' a la Joe Satriani, sure he is still young and plenty of time... Julyo music reminds me of a strange mix of rock guitar music and classical music, lots of influences from artists like Steve Vai ("The Contortionist"), Joe Satriani ("Incognito") and even Iron Maiden ("Synchronicity"). I wish I could play guitar like him and produce the magical harmony that he gets through those amplifiers! My favorite track is "Corner Of The Universe" (or "C.O.T.U."), a wonderful mix of Indian music, hard rock and electronic music. This certainly is his best CD to date, a solid outing by a fantastic guitarist/composer.

N-D
    Such a great album! And "Corner Of The Universe" is just incredible!