Terraform review by Jupiter Society

Jupiter Society: Terraform

Jupiter Society's second album continues in the direction set by their debut however there's more to Terraform than being First Contact//Last Warning vol 2. Jupiter Society relies heavily on keyboards to give the songs an epic, layered feel but on the first album there were several instances when this layering was overdone, giving a sense of "too many people doing too many things". This has been for the better part downsized on Terraform and the album has a cleaner, less tangled approach. The album is dominated by slow progressions from the opening keyboard riffs and leads to choruses with enormous choirs and long protracted bridges. The guitars are minimized to either repetitive industrial influenced figures or fairly heavy doom metal riffs, but this is actually a good thing because if the guitars where doing insanely technical riffs the overall balance would be lost.

Science Fiction is the main subject in every Jupiter Society song, but not the Utopian Gene Roddenberry type. Technophobia and technoskepticism(for a lack of a better word) are recurring themes throughout the album and the lyrics are written as short stories. Unlike the previous album, which had three lead singers on Terraform I believe that ivin Tronstad has the main bulk of the vocals. He is accompanied by choirs, sampled and synthesized vocals.

Well for those who are not interested in progressive rock/metal Terraform wouldn't be anything that special, but if you keep an open mind it will certainly entertain you for a while. A major flaw would be the lack of movement in some sections but that is occasional and the overall epic quality more than makes up for that. So lower your shields and take a listen to these recommendations off the album: "Terraforming", "Cranial Implant", "New Universe" and of course "Beyond These Walls You Are Not My Master".

krvolok
    AdenZerda wrote: This pretty much told me nothing about the band or the album, gj
    And basically no review or article can.Why? 1.Reality is subjective 2.Reviews and articles are written,read and interpreted through alpha-numerical means and not telepathy 3.At best you can outline a band or album for someone and I did that(read it).So good job to you too,mon frere.
    AdenZerda
    krvolok
    AdenZerda wrote: Read some featured reviews here http://sputnikmusic.com/Metal and then get back to me. The bulk of what I got from this was "it's good but it's not good if you don't like this genre. There are keyboards and non-technical guitars. Also sci fi."
    Please dmys...That's the bulk you can get out of any review.I just hope that you have skipped over the long progressions,industrial figures,epic choruses and choirs,doom riffs just to troll.