Employment review by Kaiser Chiefs

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Kaiser Chiefs: Employment

Britpop is back! Great album, and any of the songs on it could be a single. It's definately one of the must have albums of the year. Catchy riffs and choruses make this a fantastic debut. For those who haven't heard them, their sound is kindof like Blur, but listen harder and you will find these guys have something different. Some might say they are not original, but they are definately fantastic band. In my opinion, up there with the Libertines as modern British music goes.

Lyrics are pretty good in general, just about modern life. On one of the songs they have released, 'I Predict A Riot' is about walking through the town late at night, with lyrics such as 'girls scrabble round with no clothes on, to borrow a pound for a condom.' Quite a lot of na-na-naas and la-la-laas, but it works, and the main guy (who I forget the name of) has a great voice.

First heard of these guys when I caught them at the NME tour, and they were the least well known band there. Man they blew me away, as a live act they are fantastic. Despite not knowing most of the songs, they were incredible, and the lead guy has infinite energy (and a cowbell). Keyboard guy has a great hat also. Bought the album as soon as it came out, and got the double cd, with the additional live CD, which is also good, but perhaps a bit short. Only major complaint is the absence of two of their songs 'Wrecking Ball' and 'Take My Temperature' which are both fantastic, and I reccommend to anyone to get them off iTunes or wherever you can find them. I will make a copy of this CD in case it gets scratched/lost as it is fantastic.