Employment review by Kaiser Chiefs

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Kaiser Chiefs: Employment

Finally music that you can dance to without it being actual dance music. I've been a fan of the kaiser chiefs for a while now, at least since before they got really popular, and I can't help but feel a little bit sorry that they aren't my band anymore. Ricky Wilson's energy comes out clearly in his singing yet he doesn't need to be overly energetic all the time and the band sound just as good when humming along to a slower song as when they blast out a lively energetic song like "Na Na Na Na Na."

The naive lyrics are almost like a child's observation of the world around them. Simple little lines like "Walking through town is quite scary and not very sensible" are maybe not the deepest lyrics ever but they mean something and so many towns can relate to them. They fill in what other bands may have to leave as awkward gaps and guitar riffs that don't quite fit in at that point in the song, with energetic nas and las and aren't ashamed to do so. The simplicity coupled with the utter insanity is a good combination that Wilson pulls off to perfection.

The trouble with the Kaiser Chiefs is that you either love them or hate them. The quirky, upbeat lyrics and riffs can be great or then can be your worst nightmare. Many people prjudge britpop and God knows I wouldn't normally have listened to them but when I heard a song of theirs many months ago without knowing who they were I instantly fell in love. Not exactly Slipknot or Korn. Hardly the Sex Pistols, the Clash and Lord knows Ricky Wilson isn't the next Kurt Cobain but does that really stop them from being good?