Employment review by Kaiser Chiefs

• Released: Mar 15, 2005
Kaiser Chiefs: Employment

The sound is extremely crisp and modern, as is the trend with indie bands the basslines are extremely complicated, and the guitare is extremely simple. However this is anything but your typical indie album. Their sond harks back to the bygone britpop and even mod eras of the '80s and '90s. The vocals are extremely british and that adds to the irrepresable energy of the album. Even when they are mellow they are energetic.

The lyrics are not this albums strong point but the vocal tones and structures compliment the music extremely well. The lyrics themselves are very typical britpop lyrics with light hearted odes to social disorder (I Predict A Riot), drinking (Time Honoured Tradition), post modern society (Modern Way) and falling out of love (Every Day I Love You Less And Less).

There are several great songs on this album. I Predict A Riot is almost the perfect pop song but it is hard enough to appeal to a true rock audience, Born To Be A Dancer is an underrated album track that is as good as any song made this year. Modern Way is the best song on the record, simply because it has got the best chorus in a long time. Oh My God is their piano ballad and is not good for it. Time Honoured Tradition is overlooked but overall this album is a cheeky, energetic, bouncy and it's what a lot of bands try to be and fail, straight up rock and roll.